(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: So much rain last night

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

So much rain last night

Fire whistles are wailing an eerie harmony across the river and down in town. I don’t know how many villages are represented, but more than one for sure. Trains are still running at least as I hear one banging down the tracks right now.

I fear for Gilboa. The Mohawk was more than bank full yesterday and laced with whirlpools. Everywhere else there are drought and fires; here we have relentless rain that is washing the whole valley away. It is the worst I have seen it so far this year.


When it is like this I am afraid to leave the farm. If Gilboa goes there will be a darned near Biblical flood and we will not be able to get back home to the cows. At least we are high on the hill. I shudder to think what would happen to friends, neighbors, indeed whole comunities around us.


There goes the whistle again.


Update: We took Liz's four-wheel drive and tried to go to town for some groceries. However, we are pretty much isolated by flooded roads and bridges that are under water or deemed impassable by local authorities. (Water is up to the bottom of the bridge between Fonda and Fultonville) One can escape to the east and south, but there is nowhere to buy anything to the south and east is straight into Gilboa Dam flood plain territory. I just don't want to go there. The interstate is completely closed, trains aren't running and there are chunks of telephone pole in the middle of the road just down the way. Not good.


Also not good is that the sheiff went by with the airboat on a trailer with about five patrol cars flying low behind them about half an hour ago. TV is out and there is little coverage on the radio so we are pretty much cut off except for phone and Internet. We will just have to wait to find out what happened.

More rain tonight and tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be more than happy to take some of that rain if I could. We could really use it. All the rain you are getting reminds me of the first full year I was married to My Darling Wife. It rained 37 straight days starting in the end of May and ending by July first. I have never seen so much rain in my life. She wasn't too sure what she had got herself into with all the rain we were having. The bad thing was is that is the last time we had enough rain. We've been in a drought or on the edge of a drought the 13 years since.

threecollie said...

Sam, you can't imagine how glad we would be to send it to you. This is a real disaster in the making. There is drought almost everywhere else and we have plenty enough rain to end it all over the whole country. If only we could find a way to send it out.

Anonymous said...

There are many communities and roads that are now flooded. There have been evacuations in many towns, and several roads are closed. The water levels aren't expected to peak until later today or tomorrow. And these conditions are widespread, covering much of New York.

I guess I'll work from home today!

threecollie said...

Hi Nancy, you are smart as far as I can see. It has stopped raining but the flooding is getting worse. Liz thinks the trains have stopped running now. There is also a state of emergency in the county

Anonymous said...

At noon, there were ten counties (I think) in NY that had declared a state of emergency. I've talked to several people today, and I'm astonished at their lack of awareness. No wonder people get caught in floods!

One couple interviewed on TV said that they were worried about the rising creek last night, and that they had gone to bed hoping that it would be better this morning. Hello??? With heavy rain forecast for this morning, how did they expect it to get better?? They were rescued by local emergency workers.

It continues to irritate me that people put themselves in harm's way, and then they expect to be rescued and cared for.

End of rant....

Deanna said...

Scary!