(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Never Mind the Sheep

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Never Mind the Sheep

The bottom line is the dogs.
This is one of the most popular
YouTube videos this week. Although I am sure folks just love the coolness of it, I got cold chills watching the border collies working. What incredible work by the stockmen and stock dogs involved in producing this video of Welsh farmers making pictures with sheep, dogs and LED lighting. Wow, just wow!!!!






Here is a story about the making of the video. Training a sheep dog, or in my case a couple cow dogs, is among the most rewarding and difficult things I have ever experienced. Worth every minute of it though. The way I felt coming in after successfully doing almost any job with the dogs, even moving a few heifers to the barn, is about as great a high as any other superlative I could even imagine. Nothing in my life, except maybe parenting, has offered the same frustrations and thrills that working with my dogs has given me. And this video is about as far beyond anything I have ever experienced as the NFL is beyong tossing the ball around on the back lawn.

HT to Kim Komando

Kind of off topic, but I just read that Dan Seals passed away. I have enjoyed his music since he played with John Ford Coley many moons ago. Everything That Glitters is one of our very favorite car singing songs. We drive the boss nuts singing it four or five times before we move on to the next song. The music industry has lost a real talent......

11 comments:

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

That was soooo cool... I cant even beleive it... My herding dog spends his day herding birds from one bush to another... at least he has a job and great pay, kibble... and me...

Ed said...

LMAO!!!!! That is utterly fantastic!! Thanks for sharing it..:-)

Jinglebob said...

WOW! I had seen this and ignored it, but had to look after reading your post. Fantastic!

I too have trained several dogs for herding and you are right, it is so cool.

Thank for making me watch this!

Anonymous said...

That is an incredible video! Not only training the dogs, which I can't even imagine, but ... who dreamed up the idea in the first place?

Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

that was soooo cool!

loved it!

Anonymous said...

Fred WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!
THANKS
Mappy

Ericka said...

oh, that is awesome! thanks for sharing!

Freste said...

That is simply fantastabulous.
Is that even possible?
(picks jaw up off of chest)

threecollie said...

WW, I got cold chills, I really did. I love watching stock dogs work!

Ed, isn't it cool!

JB, I almost didn't watch it either. Video is kind of slow here. Glad I did

akagaga, it is an ad campaign for LED lights. They wanted to make them seem cool. I didn't end up caring one way or another about the darned lights, but I loved the rest of it. Even the shepherds. You could see they were having SO much fun!

Anon, I must have watched it a dozen times! lol

Matt, wasn't it fun! There was a lot of time lapse photography and stuff, but who cares? That sheep was incredible!!!!

Ericka, it was the most fun I have had in a while

Steve, of course the marvels of modern photography were certainly involved, but you can do incredible things with sheep dogs and those farmers are certainly experts. Some guys practiced here at the farm for the National Finals Sheep Dog trial one year and we saw some incredible stuff!!!!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

My old boss sent this to me and I posted it as well - although she couldn't resist getting in a dig about sheep cruelty.

However, the effort involved is amazing, my dogs are like Willow Witch's and our sheep just stamp their feet at them and the dogs go find something else to do.

I envy your dog training skills :)

threecollie said...

Nita, I loved it! I wish I could say I had some meaningful dog training skills, but believe me I was just a muddler who was lucky enough to get good dogs.