(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: All the News

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

All the News


That's fit to type.

Got a surprising, but very welcome call yesterday, that the 4490 was not only ready, but the bill was reasonable. Didn't take the guys ten minutes to be on the road to go get it.

Tyler, Liz's old horse came home last night, to a gigantic new box stall built by Alan. We used to have a pair of almost 18 hand Belgians that lived in tie stalls in the old barn. He took down both of those stalls and turned them into one big box. I will get some pics later, but other than hitting himself with the hammer he did a real nice job.

The rain continues, so the time spent cleaning up and building stuff and flower gardening goes on....all well and good but it is past time for the crops to be planted, vegetable garden in and haying started. Will this rain ever end? We are beginning to wonder.

We are breeding cows like crazy now...if they all catch we will be fielding calves left and right next February or March. Busy, busy. We had five in heat Sunday alone.

That is Bama's new baby, Cinnamon Twist, in the photo. She is NOT that color, but rather a dark, rich mahogany color. I don't know why it is so hard to get true color photos on the milking shorthorns. Once in a while I get it right, but rarely.

She is about the smartest calf I have ever seen. She was eating grain and hay before she was two days old. Now she jumps up and down if she sees me kicking hay into the mangers. And she knows her name. She can be sleeping and you call "Cinnamon-n-n-n" and she jumps right up and starts bouncing and calling. What a little sweetie!

8 comments:

lisa said...

I will be waiting to see the stall that Alan did! It sure doesn't sound like the rain is ever going to go away! I am also wanting to get into the garden and now I wish we would of gotten the gardens cleaned up last fall. Now I think we will be mudding in the gardens.

Anonymous said...

Your calf is beautiful! I thought so the minute I saw her photo and I think so more after I read what you wrote.

Its cold here also, with wind and rain. Some crops are still not in here, the corn is very slow to pop up...just too cold. Eveyone is worried about seeds rotting.

Sigh.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

I love the color of your short horns... She is one sweet looking girl...

R.Powers said...

Seems like yesterday that Bama Breeze was a little one.
She did good.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Your shorthorns are gorgeous! Nothing against the Holstein girls, but those red calves are soooo pretty!

Rain here too, with a day or two of dry maybe sprinkled in for good measure, just so we know what we're missing.

threecollie said...

Lisa, he did a nice job. I have to catch the darned chickens before I can do much gardening. all they do is dig it up

Linda, thanks, hope it is warming up. we are having a couple of nice days, for which I am most grateful

Tina Marie, thanks! I love them too. They are so pretty, especially Broadway when she grazes out on the hill

Nita, I love the reds too! Been much enjoying your garden posts. Your stuff looks so good!

Cathy said...

Awwww . . . what a little darling.
And I love that Liz's old horse is coming home. This is just so touching and so nice that Alan - with his sore mouth - helped make it possible.
What great kids you've got.

threecollie said...

FC, sorry I forgot to reply to your comment. Bama has turned out to be a really nice cow. We like her a lot!

Cathy, you should see Tyler! When he puts on a little of the weight he lost I will put up some pics. He is old as heck, but so athletic