(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Puppy Training 101

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Puppy Training 101

Big brother, teaching the little guy to text, an essential skill for all youth whether canine or human.


Seems I had almost forgotten how much of life with a new puppy is all about training. Even play requires constant attention to, "No you mustn't bite so hard!" or, "Ouch that was my toe!" "Gimme back my sock!"


 Still, having a pup around is just a joy. He is definitely Becky's boy and rightly so, but doggies recognize dog folks right from the start. He greets me with pouncy, bouncy, jumpy play signals and wags of joy. My heart can't help but light up when I see him on the other side of the baby gate just bursting with doggy joy at greeting another one of his folks.


He sleeps on my foot. He is learning to follow along on the leash beside me when I babysit while Beck goes to work. He carries his food dish around with him, dumps the food and eats it off the floor, a never ending source of sharp little kibbles to step on. I think I'm in love.


Life is good with a new puppy...especially since I sleep at the farthest end of the house from his crate...so I can't hear his anguished howls, "OMG, I'm alone, I'm alone, I'm alone.....Save meeeee......."

13 comments:

June said...

I don't have the energy, and never will again, to have a puppy so I'm enjoying your posts all the more!

Teri said...

There is NOTHING in the world like puppy training! It's exhausting and rewarding in so many ways. Congratulations on the new addition (Becky)!

Dani said...

Puppies are such wonderful souls! They really have a way about them.

Earl said...

Only the lapping of my face would be better than your post to remind me of the joy of living and loving a young puppy.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I'm jealous, he is beautiful!

Glad though, we're out of the puppy stage for awhile ;)

The Dancing Donkey said...

A puppy is one of the absolute most wonderful things on earth and then they grow into wonderful dogs, which are the second most wonderful things on earth.

Shirley said...

That last bit had me laughing, I know that sound. Tess is due to have pups on April 24th, I am so excited!

Linda said...

I'm still seriously jealous and I'm trying hard to convince the Bossman that we DO need a younger dog. Fingers crossed;)

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Have fun with that pup. I'm very happy to enjoy his antics vicariously through your wonderful prose. Although I am looking forward to my own new grandpuppy in April. At HER house!

lisa said...

I am glad not to have a puppy, but then again, I am not home enough to do the training. Good luck with the training 101, he is a cute thing though!

threecollie said...

June, I am ever so astounded at just how much energy he requires. Glad most of the work falls on Becky

Teri, he is a smart little pip...already knows his name and sits for pets

Dani, they are! You must be so excited about yours

Earl, I had almost forgotten.....

Nita, thanks, you have very beautiful and delightful dogs yourself

TDD, hear, hear! We are such dog people here that the dogs are almost people. lol

Shirley, ah, that is great. it has been about twelve years since we had a litter! I can remember Gael carting them out of the whelping box and dumping them right next to my bed. lol

Linda, I'll cross mine for you. Dogs are great at any age and we are fond of all of ours, but they are all 11 or 12. There is just nothing like a puppy.

WW, lol, I get you there! We have completely recycled the kitchen into a puppy-safe, (sorta) area, and yet he keeps finding one thing after another to get into.

Lisa, thanks, he is a pip. Hope he stays that way. lol

Jinglebob said...

Puppies is fun, until they ain't! :-)

Cathy said...

These pictures are a big problem here at the Wilson's :)
My dear hubby wants a pup so bad.

I just can't go through 'puppy hell' again - alone, so he says he'll wait a bit until he retires.

Ya 'think' you're falling in love? Heck. I'm falling in love with little Gil and I haven't been hooked on his puppy smell :) Yeah. You're in love. Lucky.