(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Standoffish

Monday, July 30, 2012

Standoffish

Click to embiggen...if you really want to see a wasp that close.

This yellow jacket not only wanted to feed from the hummer jar, she thought she owned it too. No matter where the poor hummer tried to land...there are several feeding spots...she ran after her fiercely. The hummer finally flew away, discouraged....which is when I got out my little can....of wasp spray.

9 comments:

Rianne said...

Wauw! What a beautiful picture ! Great!

Reddunappy said...

Dang Yellow Jackets. For some reason they love to build nests under our hot tub cover!! The big can comes out then!!! LOL

Ruth said...

We've had WASPS everywhere this year, donno what it is, but everytime I turn around there's ANOTHER NEST. We even found them inside a couple bird boxes (no wonder there were no birds in them this year!).

Keith Wilson said...

Let me see, which do I like?

Hummingbird... yellow jacket?
Hummingbird....yellow jacket?

Hmmmm... don't rush me. Let me think.

SPRAY!!

threecollie said...

Rianne, thank you so much!

Redunappy, I despise them. Liz is allergic and although she has had a series of shots, we are very cautious around them. If I don't have wasp spray, or if it is handier, I use a garden hose to take them down. Not only immobilizes the insect, but it plumb wrecks nests

Ruth, I guess they like dry weather. We have huge numbers too and they are outrageously aggressive

Keith, lol, I like the way you think. Alan may set me up a trap on the porch to take care of some of the ones I can't reach.

Cathy said...

Ha! Don't blame you. Poor little hummer. What a great pix :)

Terry and Linda said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

NumberWise said...

I clicked to embiggen the photo - to see the hummingbird!

threecollie said...

NW, lol, Yeah, I'm not too fond of the wasps either, so of course that part of the shot came out nice and crisp and clear. Been thinking of you a lot lately