(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Feegle

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Feegle


One of my good blog friends mentioned a feegle in the comments yesterday. I had to go look it up.....and laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

Having come late to Terry Pratchett, and only having read three books so far, I hadn't come across them yet....but I will....oh, yes, I will.

Becky accidentally brought home Nation for me to read because she thought it looked like something I would like.

And, wow, did I ever like it. So she got me Going Postal.

And now I am reading Thud.

And looking forward to reading as many more as I can get my hands on, including any that contain wee feegles. If you haven't read any Pratchett and you enjoy something that is fun on the surface, while containing delightfully convoluted satire on so many levels that you are always sure you are missing some of them, you are in for a treat.

And on a side note, it seems the ultimate unfairness that someone so staggeringly brilliant should face dementia so much too early

......

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Pratchett is a brilliant writer, along the line of Douglas Adams (The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) who also died young. There's something about satirical British comedy that leaves me laughing until tears come.

joated said...

Jeez, I thought you had read him already which is why I made the comment. Glad you're getting the others to read. Pratchett is one of those I can go back to read again and again.

Also saw you were reading Crais. Just went through five of his books (four being Joe Pike novels) last week. He's one of those you start to read and can't put the book down until you've finished.

Terry and Linda said...

I'm always looking for good reads...so off I go to find a book or two.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

threecollie said...

Rev. Paul, exactly right! Our Becky has recently discovered the subtlety combined with slapstick that is British humor and she loves it. And our boy does Monty Python better than the cast. The swallows and coconuts thing...he can always slay us in the aisles in the barn...which is messy. lol

Joated, just started a couple of weeks ago. I always meant to, because you mentioned him a couple of times in the past and I love to find new authors, but I don't get out much and rely on Becky to bring me books. I am hooked now though! I haven't read any Crais yet, but she is getting me Subject as soon as it comes back into the library. Looking forward to it!

LInda, I have enjoyed the two I have finished and the one I am reading now very much. It is wonderful to know that there are many more to anticipate! Nation is a great story if you happen across it. I love survival stuff and it contains that along with a lot of depth in plot and commentary, yet it is fun at the same time. I will be reading it again