(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: White-throated Sparrow

Sunday, May 05, 2013

White-throated Sparrow

This friendly little fellow didn't seem to mind that I was hanging out laundry the other day

I realized something yesterday while "helping" the boss fence (I went up with every intention of helping but there really wasn't much for me to do.)

The bird density on the place is MUCH greater down here by the house and buildings than up in the fields, and not just "barnyard" birds either. 

Alan thinks it is because there is less predation down here, even allowing for having cats. There IS a pair of sharp-shinned hawks making their presence known up there. Kestrels too. And Owls.

 It may also be partly that I feed year round if I can afford to, keep the pond fountain running when possible, and we live right near the corner of an orchard that is growing up to brush.



Whatever, the cause, I was watching and listening closely while I waited to work.... I had plenty of time on my hands (not to mention brush nippers and a bucket of tools.) There were a few very noticeable species around...lots of Northern Flickers, plenty of Northern Mockingbirds, Downy Woodpeckers, and the ubiquitous Song Sparrows, but there simply wasn't much of anything else.

Down here by the house I have all of those plus many others.

I sure am having a lot of fun counting the whole farm this year, and getting new birds...new for this year...almost every day. We even had a ruby-crowned kinglet helping the last time we went fencing. I was pretty sure but not quite positive what he was because he was flying around the boss's head so quickly. However, I finally looked at the lone, blurry, shot I got of him, and there was that little red crest.

Check.


4 comments:

Cathy said...

What great shots!
And mockingbirds everywhere.
Waaaaa . . . .
As usual - words fail - so here it is again:
Lucky duckies!
PS. Is that little sparrow doing any of his "poor Sam Peabody Peabody"?

threecollie said...

Cathy, thanks! I love the mockers. We used to have one or two pairs, now we have several. they like huge territories though. And yes we are hearing old sam peabody ringing through the woods now and again.

Terry and Linda said...

We seem to have less native birds, the ring necked doves and the starlings have been extremely mean to the others. I really am not a fan of those invasive killer birds.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Dani said...

We are such bird nerds! lol