(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Should I

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Should I


Enroll in some form of health insurance to meet the Obamacare deadline? Or take the penalty? Everyone else in the family either already has insurance or is young enough to get away with not having it for another year.

I am the only holdout. We stopped buying our own insurance through the milk cooperative when Alan was still in school. Just couldn't afford it, when the premiums went up to over two grand a month. Nothing has happened that would change that....probably eligible for Medicaid from the state, but sure as heck can't crank an insurance payment out of the tiny milk check..

The sign-up for state coverage is insanely complicated. I know this because I did it when Alan was in school and not so healthy, although in the end we never used it. It is not geared toward people who are not on welfare. The people you talk to during enrollment have no idea about farming, how farm income is made and distributed, or anything but signing up people for government handouts who are already getting them.

So, take the penalty when tax time comes? Or go through the hellaciously horrid process of signing up for a government handout?

What would you do? What should I do?

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh Marianne. I wish we could wake up from this nightmare. If hubby ever retires . . don't know or understand what happens.
God bless you. And Hey! If anyone in this universe is worthy in every sense of the word, to get a leg up, it's you decent, hardworking, born-on-the-fourth-of-July, country-loving American farmers.
Amen.

The Dancing Donkey said...

My Farm Buddy went through this a while ago. It was a pain, but they have simplified it a little. She was in the same situation as you, but still able to do it all over the phone. She has coverage through the state now and it really wasn't that painful and costs her nothing. Actually, her coverage is better than what I get and I work for a hospital. I'd say you should at least look into it.

The Milk Maid said...

There was a time when we had no insurance also cause the milk check couldn't afford it. About 3 years ago a wet round bale of hay fell off a pile and onto my 11 yr old son. They had to take him by helicopter to the hospital where he had surgery and stayed for 6 days. The hospital had us apply for emergency Medicaid and before that went into affect I received $78,000 ( the helicopter ride was $30,000) of bills. The emergency Medicaid cost us $2600 a month for 6 months. I am sure the whole thing would of cost over $90,000. So I make sure I try to squeeze out anything I can for insurance now. We have the Obamacare now and it wasn't too bad to sign up for and I bet it wouldn't cost you that much with the credits they allow. Just something to think about.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Farming is one of the most dangerous occupations there is. Accidents happen. You could lose your farm and your whole way of living. Then you might REALLY have to depend on the government. "Obamacare" is not a government "handout" but a boon to insurance industry, while providing some benefit to ordinary Americans. I would urge to to at least look into it.

Terry and Linda said...

My oldest daughter is going through this horrid question herself.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://handcraftedbyus.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

No idea. Cindy works so we can have insurance... sucks, but that's the way it is...

12Paws said...

Leave no stone unturned. Your farm is your life & love. If you have a negative health event with no insurance your whole family will be affected. Bite the bullet and look (deeply) into it. I LOVE your blog and wish I could know you face-to-face.

Jeffro said...

I'd think with your income (or lack thereof) would qualify you for a substantial subsidy, enough that you could probably select a plan for free.

I hate to admit it, but I was willing to become a major hypocrite when I thought my company was going to drop me and my health insurance at the first of the year. Turns out with zero income you can get a pretty good subsidy - enough that I figured I could afford some of the gold level plans. But my company decided not to throw me under the bus and I'm still on their plan. I just have to pay the full amount rather than half.

I'd sure look pretty closely at what you can get - might as well, we've all been paying taxes for years and shouldn't feel guilty for actually wanting to use some of that money the way we want.

threecollie said...

Thank you all for your sage advice. I know I have to do this, however much I dread it. Guess I will procrastinate for a little longer, but.....