(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Birdin' and Jammin'

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Birdin' and Jammin'


When the weather radar shows big blue sunbursts of migratory birds taking off early in the morning, right within fifty miles of your home, it's a good time to go birding.

It has been amazing around here this week! I didn't think I was going to crack 80 species this year...so many common, counted-every-year birds have been absent. 

Swamp Sparrow, species #81 for the year

However, now that migration is really moving the yards are full of birds, just full. Picked up three new ones in the past two days, Black-throated Green Warbler, Prairie Warbler, and Swamp Sparrow, to crack 80 and even hit 81. I sure would like to see a record this year so i go out every morning at least for a few minutes.


And, of course, it is also the season of putting by. Three batches of grape jelly the other day and Liz is busy freezing squash and tomato sauce and such. Big pumpkins are forming up in the top garden, the last flowers are blazing. We use fresh herbs with a lavish hand. they are so good and soon will be so gone. I keep a few indoors, but it is a job to keep them growing.

Frost soon, alas. 

6 comments:

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

The flowers you brought me yesterday are sooo pretty. Thank you also for the veggies and steak. Much appreciated. Love, Mom

Cathy said...

Sigh . . .. so beautiful . . in so many ways . . .

Terry and Linda said...

Frost soon...sigh! I am never ready.

Linda

threecollie said...

Mom, glad you enjoyed them....just what is growing out in the yard right now. Can't wait to hear how you liked the steak. Love you!

Cathy, just so you know, your family was the subject of the crazy dream in today's post. Who knew that Ohio had ocean, herring, sea lions and billions of diving grackles. lol Thanks

Linda, me neither. The flowers are just getting going it seems.

Cathy said...

No way!! And tell you what Marianne. I woke up last night dreaming about something Keith was reading on his Kindle beside me!!!! Second time I've done that.
Woooeeeeeeee.

threecollie said...

Cathy, that is downright eerie, but I have no trouble believing it. Close couples seem to experience that kind of ESP. I sure can't hide anything I am thinking from Ralph. Were you surprised to learn about your ocean front property...in Ohio...and the sea lions and the herring and all? It was really cool to meet you guys though and you were every bit as nice as I expected. lol