(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: About our Goose

Saturday, April 15, 2017

About our Goose

Click to read details

Our banded goose from Lyker's Pond is a female, hatched some time before 2015 and banded right near where we saw her. How exciting to be able to find out a bit about the history of a bird you spot!

I saw another banded bird some time ago and I am going to see if I can find out about that one too.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

So do you think she was hatched at Lyker's Pond or is it a coincidence that she's back in the same spot? Are geese like salmon, returning to the place they're born?

threecollie said...

Denny, I can't really tell from the certificate, but she certainly was hatched nearby. Best I can tell they do return to the general area where they were hatched. Anecdotally there was a Greylag, that is a feral domestic goose, that lived with the Canada Geese in Fonda for years. It did not seem to winter here but it was always back in the spring to the very same lawn over by the state barn. Alas, I have not seen it this year.....