(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Almanac

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Almanac


First, let me thank everyone who generously provided a quote on this summer's weather in their area. From Alaska to Florida and a number of points in between, these reports made it easy and fun to write the Farm Side this week. I am ever so grateful.



I'm glad I needed to change dog water this morning. Staggering around half awake lugging buckets, I noticed that a tiny, thumb-knuckle-sized toadlet was floundering around in Finn's pail. It seemed relieved to be rescued and carted down to the garden by the back door where I released it under a rhubarb leaf. There is something irresistible about a baby toad.

After Montezuma the August birding doldrums have set in with a vengeance. A week ago nine species singing and flying by in the first three minutes would have been the norm any morning. Counted them faster than I could write them down.....

Yesterday I hiked all the way back to the Old Spreader Field and only saw or heard 19 species. Not a Bobolink, Red-winged Blackbird, or Savannah Sparrow to be found.

This morning bird songs showed an odd juxtaposition of seasons, an Indigo Bunting singing over behind the cow barn, a Blue Jay screaming at me for being out in the yard, Chickadees all over the place after a long summer silence, and a Carolina Wren who couldn't decide whether to come investigate my presence or join the jay in alarm.

Summer? Fall? they don't seem to know either.

However, migration is already under way, whether it is obvious or not. Can fall warblers be far behind?

Meanwhile, if the chipmunks can be persuaded to take their ratty teeth elsewhere, we will have tomatoes soon, and the beans and squash are thriving. I don't know about you but I never seem to get tired of raw beans out in the garden or a nice batch with dinner, sauteed in butter and seasoned just so.

We have all had colds lately, but I am hoping to feel good enough to pick today....


6 comments:

12Paws said...

"There is something irresistible about a baby toad." Yes, yes, cuter than bug's ear!

Terry and Linda said...

Migration is on it's way here also!

Unknown said...

I know I'm too late to put my two cents in, but i had posted some commentary to the Aug 5th Blog regarding Hay Bailing &
the weather. However, you may not have received it because I sent it as a "reply - Google E-mail" to Northview Diary.
(that probably doesn't work). Here is a recap of that just for the record.

"The daily weather forecast is about as accurate as a fortune teller on the back lot at a third rate circus." (your quote)
Those are truest words I've read in long time. We have many "round" bails
sitting (drying?) in our field and on many fields along Queen Anne Road. Johnny H. started
the cutting on July 17th, finished bailing near end of month but, can't get good stretch of "just sunny days with no precipitation". Hopefully all bails have a cellophane wrapper or they are gonna rot at this rate !
Tom.

P.S Found that the bails have NO wrapper; they are still out in the fields 08/16/17

threecollie said...

Gustav, so sorry I got your words too late to quote you! Alas, deadline was Wednesday noon. I didn't get the other comment and I am so sorry. The "reply to" doesn't work that way unfortunately. I sure hate to miss comments....they often make my day. It has certainly been one of the most challenging years for getting in hay that I have ever seen. Looks as if we may have enough days this week to get a little done...Ralph has gotten maybe three decent loads so far this week anyhow. Here's hoping the rain holds off!

Cathy said...

"...However, migration is already under way, whether it is obvious or not. "

I can't believe this summer is so far along. Where did it go?

threecollie said...

Cathy, it is so hard to watch the common summer species being siphoned south at such a rate!