(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Almanac

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Almanac

Weeds along the farm road, far higher than my head

The tornado warned storm the other night ushered in some clear, pleasant weather. Of course the tractor has been broken down and is getting some more work done today...so not much haying going on. (There was a tornado in one area, but we just got a little wind, a lot of rain, and some minor lightning, thankfully.)



I will surely use landscape fabric for my tiny garden again next year. I only kept the smallest garden for myself, but it has kept both families in snap beans and summer squash so far, with some to give away too. Yesterday I picked about half of what we hadn't eaten and froze them. Might do more today if I have time.


Oh, oh, who's this coming up the driveway with the chickens all out in the yard!
!!!!!

Yesterday morning I tried walking back in the fields, as the boss has made a new gateway and I wanted to check it out. However, up top in the 30-Acre Lot, the clay mud was so slick I literally could not walk on it.



 I went back up last night, but darkness and skeeters sent me back down the hill. Sure enjoyed the peachy sunset though.

I think I heard a Great Horned Owl! Not hooting but screeching!

It was odd. I had just turned behind the barn to head up the hill when I heard a scream right  behind me. Not unusual as the resident Red-tailed Hawks love to fly behind me and screech and make me jump. 

However, this didn't sound quite right. I would never have thought what it might be, but I was playing GHOW sounds on iBird Pro when I got to the top of the hill....we have them and I was hoping for a response...and there it was! The exact sound. Didn't count it, but I will be going over there in the evening again soon....



Everyone is talking early fall. I surely hope not. A lot of farmer hopes are pinned on corn making ears and there was an awful lot of late planting this year. We have seen some decent corn around, playing catch up you might say, but only a couple of fields with well-developed ears so far. Lots of pink corn silk out there yet.




4 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

Your photos are stunning! I hope that little fox by-passed your poultry...the little chicken thief!!!

Anonymous said...

Icky mud, or from a different perspective, be glad for the moisture. We have a 102K acre fire just south of us and no end in sight. We would gladly trade you some dry for some rain, problem is, how to do that?

Have a great day, and thanks for many hours of entertaining blog stuff.

wildriver

http://ktvl.com/news/local/chetco-bar-fire-grows-over-10000-acres-0-percent-contained

threecollie said...

Wildriver, I have been reading about that fire! Sounds terrible. Wish there was some way to share the water in a useful manner. It has done a lot of harm around here and yet you could use some.

Anonymous said...

Nature seems to have a way of showing us just how effective we really are......I reckon it's best left in the hands of He who has some horse power.

Have a great day!