(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Don't Look Up

Monday, August 21, 2017

Don't Look Up


I am going to have a go at birding the eclipse later today. Supposedly birds react to the changing light and do interesting stuff. I dunno. Guess I'll make a list around the time of the celestial intersection and see what I see.

I am not going to look at the sun though. No special glasses-no lookie up. Been through eclipses before anyhow, being nearly as old as the sun itself and all. Eh, it gets dark. Then it gets light again. At least it won't be raining this time.

Don't be worrying about your pets and livestock. They aren't going to look up either. The only animals I been around that routinely do so are Border Collies, and then only at low-flying planes and tempting birds. Chickens will watch the sky for hawks but they sure don't stare at the center of the solar system. Critters just don't look at the sun.... prolly aren't even aware of it except as a stimulus to sing or stretch out on the grass and soak up rays... 

However, if you are worried, get them some glasses....or get yourself some glasses....of wine that is. Then you won't be worried. Or something..... 

Anyhow, enjoy the day. I'm listening to music that is reminding me of connections and people and places, past and present, and I am much enjoying it. A song about riding out on a horse on a fine spring morning, from a rancher friend I've never met, but whose family we know quite well just the same. Still one of my great favorites, Robert.

An Emerson Drive song taking me back to the Fonda Fair many moons ago, when I walked into the arena uninterested, just keeping the kids company because Becky bought me a ticket, and walked out a fan. One of the few bands I've heard that are truly better in concert than in the studio, and I've heard a lot of bands. The girls and I chased concerts from Vermont to Western PA that year and had a fine time. Road trip, anyone? Connections there too, as we got to know one of the player's family online and even met him once, although I am sure he doesn't remember the way we do. Good times.

And this song. Heard it once years ago and bought tickets for the whole family to hear the band at Troy City Music Hall. Still love it. Wouldn't you know....I never noticed until this morning doing dishes hooked up to my phone....but it's about birds. Figures.

I don't play any more but music still traces an outline of my whole life, from songs we played in the band that I still love even though so many years have passed, to songs from every decade since. Lots of songs. Lots of great musicians.

And if I sing along real quietly they won't throw me out of the kitchen.




6 comments:

Breezey375 said...

That is my FAVORITE Emerson Drive song!!!!

Jan said...

That is the best description I've heard of an eclipse:
Eh, it gets dark. Then it gets light again.

Cathy said...

"I don't play any more but music still traces an outline of my whole life, "

Your posts carry your song, Marianne.

The tunes they sing make me laugh, smile and shed a tear now and then.

threecollie said...

Becky, still on my phone playlist.....

Jan, lol, turned out it was pretty cool, but still

Cathy, Thanks! Hope you enjoyed the eclipse.

Terry and Linda said...

We faded to a slight cool down here...that was all. But rather cool. Like you, I've been through them before. It did mess up the internet yesterday. :(

threecollie said...

Linda, downright chilly here now. Becky bought me a flannel shirt on sale last week and I laughed. Not laughing now....wearing it instead.