(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: One Day at a Time

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

One Day at a Time

No fear at 11 months...much braver than in later years

After a great weekend and weeks of incredible weather, the season is sliding down into winter. Yesterday was a weirdly warm rainy one, a lot of water came down. Every time I tried to go out and walk the rain would intensify and I would be chased indoors.

Good thing I have my grandmother's cedar chest to keep me entertained. Mom gave it to me for my birthday this year and during the busy days of summer I neglected poking through it. It is still full of things that grandma saved, old birthday cards, bills, newspaper clippings and such. Photos. Lots and lots of photos.

I have done a little spelunking in there over the past few days and found all sorts of treasures. A photo of me on a pony at eleven months old, grinning like a Jack 'o Lantern. Guess I liked horses right from the start.

Photos of grandma and grandpa's dog, Nikki. I was so fond of him...

The stairs in their old house where we used to sit on the landing upstairs and "fish" down into the kitchen with strings. We only caught passing grownups who obliged by tugging our string "fishing lines" but we were easy to entertain in those days.

The leaning garage held up by its contents, or so we used to joke back in the day. When your grandparents lived through the Great Depression they don't throw things away.

My mama and daddy's wedding photo, looking so fine and happy.

And much, much more.

Kinda brightens up these gloomy days.

I need to go through the photos again and sort them out for different cousins and brothers and all. Too much treasure for just me to hoard.

And 29 years later, 30 years old, at grandma's 75th birthday party. I sure loved those two.

6 comments:

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

I share your love daughter! Love that picture of you with them at Grandma's party. Perhaps I should have done some more spelunking before I passed it on, but I labor under the illusion that "you can't take it with you" and better it should go to someone who really appreciates it. Love you so much! Mom

Jan said...

What a priceless treasure chest, hope you will continue to share with us.

Sandcastle Momma said...

That really is a treasure! What a wonderful chest to dig through on cold winter days.

Cathy said...

A treasure Marianne. A true treasure. I know there must be a few heart twinges as you encounter the poignant reminders from the past.
(Your mom's a treasure, too :) Of course your dad! But fellas don't tend to find the pleasure we gals do in spelunking.

Terry and Linda said...

I love old treasure chests like that! AND PHOTOS oh how I love old photos. You are sure cute, Marianne!

threecollie said...

Mom, I am glad you chose me to be the guardian of the treasure! What a trip back in time...I am much enjoying it. And I love you too, very much!

Jan, I need to get some folders or something and start sorting....

Ann, I need something to keep me busy as it will soon be too icy for me to walk and this walking thing makes you awful restless if you can't walk! lol

Cathy, you have the exact right of it. So many people gone, as is the entire house, alas. But they do live on in our hearts and really feel as if they are always here with us. I loved my grands very deeply and am so glad that we spent a lot of time with them over the years. We were privileged to have such a true old fashioned family. Thanksgiving dinners around the table which lives in my dining room now, cousins in troupes and droves, forging up and down the stairs and in and out of doors. As I grow older I am gathering up stories of my mother's generation in the same house. I once did a story on the events that table had seen and my mom's cousins chimed in with stories about it that I had never heard as I wasn't born yet. The kids...those older kids...were at the top of those stairs listening when Pearl Harbor was announced. We were lucky that in our days of "fishing" off those stairs, things were a bit more peaceful. I love the connections down over the years and hope my kids feel them too with their generations of grands and cousins.