(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Seven Wonders

Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Seven Wonders


NYCO had an interesting post about looking for the seven wonders of
that area of the state, which led me to contemplate the potential for finding the seven wonders of Northview Farm.

Of course holding it down to seven is about like eating one potato chip...there are a lot more in the bag and each one is tastier than the one before.

However, I will start at the bottom and work my way up through seven delights of life on this hill.

7)Soft fog cat-footing up from the river on a gentle summer morning. It deadens the sound of the Interstate and makes the train whistles echo lonesome and long across the valley.

6) Neon Moon peeking in through the sawdust shed window. She can barely get her nose over the edge but she sees PEOPLE and they are about her favorite thing in the whole world because they bring BOTTLES of MILK! There is always an inquisitive new calf or two to keep things interesting.

5) The scent of a mow full of fresh hay, which comes with the opportunity for the guys to grease the cross mow elevator without getting on that awful ladder...they can just stand on the hay and get er done. No worries mate.

4) Knowing that we FINALLY got the blood drawn and the hair pulled from the bulls for DNA testing so they can go to Dependabul and be gone from our lives. Remind me to tell you about what I think of the difference between breed requirements for DNA testing...a few ear hairs from the Holstein and BLOOD from the shorthorn. You can't get blood out of a stone, but you can from a bull's butt...it just isn't pretty...or fun....or safe. I am so glad that that job is over. Now we wait for results.

3) The birds, wildlife, flowers and just general outdoors stuff that surrounds us all the time. Living here on this hill is like spending all day every day in a national park or wildlife refuge. Just yesterday I was able to get the photos of the wren and the vulture on the no trespassing sign without taking any time out of my work day. They are just there. We also saw white tail fawns, eastern cottontail babies, woodchucks with kits, squirrels and dozens of other birds. I love it here.


2) Growing what we eat and eating what we grow. Right now except for herbs and lettuce and our own beef and pork and milk we are waiting...for tomatoes, squash, beans, peas.....and I CAN"T wait, I'm telling you. Meanwhile the guys grow a 300+ acre garden of food for the cows too. Neat.

And the number one wonder of life here is......

1) Working together every day, especially with the three kids that make it possible for us to do this. And I am not kidding. We couldn't do it without their help, from field work to cooking dinner to feeding calves and filling out registration papers, they have their hands on everything and I am glad for it. When you figure that they are fun and funny people too and a delight to be around who could ask for anything more wonder-ful? I am proud of them and I hope they know it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love looking at your photos.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. How sad that most of us have left the agrarian life and are removed from the realities that you and your children experience on a daily basis.

dmmgmfm said...

How lovely. It sounds as if your kids are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

You are indeed sitting on 7 wonders. What an amazing way of life. Thanks for putting up with the govt. nonsense so that you can share your food with the rest of us.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Great idea!
Wonderfully written!
Beautiful!

threecollie said...

Hi GDA, thanks! And thanks for stopping by to visit and leaving a comment.

Jan, thank you so very much. I really wish more people did get a chance to experience the intensity of this life.

Laurie, thanks, I love 'em, but I admit to a certain prejudice.

AMWD thank you! We need folks like you.....

OW, thanks very much. Good to "see" you!

Anonymous said...

Despite a very difficult lifestyle (in many ways), you often put a positive, appreciative, or humorous spin on your comments about your daily rounds. Your blog is both fun and inspiring.

And, yes, I know threecollie's kids (even if I sometimes mix up the girls!), and they're just what she says -- hard working, fun, and funny.

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

As their grandmother, I can testify to that. Whenever they visit we sit and wonder at what God has wrought!
Mom

threecollie said...

NW, as you know there are those other times as well...but all kids and all jobs have those other times. Thanks for visiting.

Mom, thanks, we sure do have good times don't we? Love you!

R.Powers said...

What a great post. Heartfelt and true. Good job all round.
That foggy picture is a beaut!

threecollie said...

Thanks, FC!

Cathy said...

Yes - you have a poet's eye. The picture of the fog - pitch perfect. I can hear that train - I can smell the river, smell the green in the dense morning air.

I also hear a lot of love blooming amidst those 300 + acres :0)

threecollie said...

Thanks Cathy, I am glad it worked for you. I can't resist these bloggable moments and the kids know it...they tease me about it.