(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: A couple more cow stories

Sunday, August 19, 2007

A couple more cow stories



You might think that it is a chore for cows to be dragged to the fair...that they must mind being shut into a stock trailer, driven 32 miles over twisted hill country roads, and kept away from green pastures and good buddies for a week.

You might think.

However, there is a certain amount of evidence to the contrary. About six years ago one of the show heifers was turned out with a herd of regular heifers. The boss was really worried about how we were going to sort her out to take her to the show. (She had been to the fair the year before.) However, as soon as he backed the trailer over to the heifer yard, she threw up her head and ran up to the gate so she could get on.

Same thing this year. Because of the light duty truck the guys made a second trip back home to get Lemmie and Blink. They loaded Lem and went back into the barn to get Blink. When they came out there was Heather, Lizzie's old Jersey show cow, who isn't going this year because we didn't get her bred until real late, climbing onto the back compartment of the trailer. Foolish, a milking two-year-old, who went last year too, was right behind her and Junie, a dry who has been showed all her life, was running down the hill for her turn. I suppose it just shows that they aren't stupid. For the week at the show they are fed about ten times a day, have nothing to do buy lie in knee deep straw, get washed, and groomed and pampered until they shine like stars. It is like a spa for cows! What's not to like? Still it amazes me that all it takes is one trip over to the fair for them to associate a trailer ride with pleasure. In fact, Foolish has never even ridden on OUR trailer, having been hauled over by our trucker last year!

Then the other day, Alan was standing in the barnyard waiting for the boss, and decided to scratch Balsam, mother of Bayberry, grandmother of Bayliner. He used to show Balsie when she was a heifer but she is an older three quartered cow now and can't be shown. He was being careful to stay at arm's length so she wouldn't knock him down if she decided to take off, as most cows won't let you touch them when they are running free. Instead of taking off, she scooped him into the hollow of her neck, with a swoop of her head, and cradled him there against her neck so she could be sure not to lose the source of all that lovely scratching and petting. It was like a huge cow hug...she is mean to other cows, but she sure is sweet to people.


12 comments:

Joni said...

Not unlike our bulls. They know when the trailer pulls in they are going to greet the ladies. They pile on with no problems!

threecollie said...

Joni, I'll just bet they do!

Flo said...

Being an ignorant city girl ;) I really don't know much about cows. That is why I find your blog so fascinating. I guess cows are just like other animals. I have birds and dogs and know how intelligent they can all be in their own way. Apparently cows are the same. I really love reading this stuff. I just hope it doesn't make me a vegetarian :(

threecollie said...

Hi flo, thanks for visiting. It is a funny thing. Working with cows every day I really care for them, yet it doesn't bother me to eat the ones we raise for beef. I do feel bad when we have to sell a milker that I like, but I guess if you are going make a living with them, there are hard aspects of the job that you have to accept.
I will never forget about five years ago one of my very favorite cows had gotten old and was no longer having calves or making much milk. I knew the day was coming when she would have to be sold and I felt real bad about it. I thought one night...how nice if she would just lie down in her stall and die peacefully so she would never have to leave. The next morning, believe it or not, she was dead when we came in the barn. I think it is the only time I was glad to lose the beef check.

Anonymous said...

When I see cows at the Fair I always wonder if they have like a cow convention where they compare working conditions, menus, affection from owners....

threecollie said...

Hi Jan, I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Lemmie was funny today. She stood out in the barnyard after milking looking around as if to say, "Where the heck am I and how did I get here?" She was pretty funny

pissed off patricia said...

What a cute story. I can just imagine the cows telling one another about the fair and all the fun. The word gets around and everyone wants to go. Like little kids.

Anonymous said...

Loved the story and the pictures, but being a city girl, I'm scratching my head at the description of "older three quartered cow' that can't be shown. What in heck is that? Any easy way to explain to someone who understands dogs, birds and squirrels but no farm animals.

Cathy said...

Doggone it. I just read this aloud to my hubby. We're both just amazed. And for some reason I've got tears in my eyes. Doggone it . . .:0)

threecollie said...

POP, Ha, sometimes they remind me of kids..lol

Karen, no problem. Cows udders normally have four quarters. Sometimes through infection or injury one of them ceases to function and becomes visibly smaller than the the others. Although with a little fooling around with the milking machine you can milk such cows and they give nearly as much milk as if all four were working, such a situation would disqualify them from the show ring. The udder counts for a great deal of their score and should be smooth and even and well attached to the floor of the body..

Cathy, sorry about that. Believe me, they aren't all sweet and lovable or smart or fun to be around. There are some that would just as soon stomp you or kick you or run over you as chew their cuds.

R.Powers said...

Today, I shall drink my whey protein (mixed with milk) drink for breakfast and hope that the ingredients came from cows as smart and well cared for as yours.
Keep sharing cow personality stories. We noncow owners really don't have a clue ...

threecollie said...

Good morning FC, I hope you enjoy your breakfast beverage and that your sweet daughters call home every day