(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Indoor Lettuce

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Indoor Lettuce


I planted a flower pot full today. Not much will make it to the table, as I can't walk past and not pick a leaf, but even a little is a wonder on a sandwich up here in the frozen north in the middle of the winter. I grew some in a cooler last year and we ate it for months. I use two mixes from Pinetree Garden seeds, winter lettuce mix and lettuce mix. I love the different shapes and colors of leaves that you end up with.

I am contemplating starting small flower pots of it and giving them as Christmas gifts to beloved folks who are impossible to shop for. Is this a good plan do you think?

6 comments:

Windyridge said...

I am curious about your indoor lettuce. I looked at the Aerogarden (reviewed on my site) which sounds fantastic but isn't cheap. How exactly do you do it, and do you get enough for the whole family?

Stacy said...

That would be an awesome gift! Provided someone like me didn't kill it.

mon@rch said...

I never knew people grew Lettuce inside! Hmm! Sounds like a great idea and please keep us updated on how it turns out!

threecollie said...

WR, I will post a link to last year's project. I grew some in a cooler in a bright window and got a wonderful crop!

Stacy, I am hoping family members feel the same! lol

Mon@rch...just something I tried last winter when my greenish thumb got itchy. It went real well.

R.Powers said...

This is the season for us to grow lettuce outside. Too hot in the summer.
I think your gift idea is a good one.

threecollie said...

Hi FC, some winters we can still pick a bit outdoors this late in the year, but it has frozen really hard and stayed that way this fall.
I have to get outside and dig some pots out of the ice I guess.