(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Brothers

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Brothers

(When I was younger I spelled that without the "r", but I have gotten plumb fond of them over the years.) Youngest bro and his sweet wife both work hard at their jobs as well as running their small farm. In their "spare time" they weave. Here are their looms


Weaving beautiful blankets on a barn loom


And rugs on another loom


And still another lovely machine....these are so beautiful that even aside from their function it is delightful just to look at them...the rich old wood polished by years of use, the colorful thread, the amazing maze of moving parts. Matt and Lisa both did a bit of weaving for us....amazing to manufacture useful and beautiful materials from just balls (or should I say cones) of wool and cotton. I have a wool blanket Lisa wove that I keep by my Sunday chair. It is real wool, warmer than anything you can imagine and pretty too. I never put it away even in the summer.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent you two emails make sure you open both of them. It's a secret!!!

threecollie said...

NYV, gotcha! Just sent reply...

Linda said...

I have an aunt weaves the most beautiful things too, I love the sound. Clack-clack-clack as the shuttle goes forth and back.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, you are a talented bunch. I like your "weaving" of the story too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, ditto what linda and nita said. Those blankies sure sound cozy. It's a chilly 63 here today so I'll just tuck my cat under my shirt for a little warmth. Yes of course 63 is cold. hehehe
Beateous stuff they've created, 3C. Evidently it is a family thing. A family with talent, artistry and skill. What more could ya want?

threecollie said...

Linda, it astonishes me when people make things from nothing...nothing+skill and work= something amazing. I just love it!

Nita, thanks so much. I have wanted to go up and see the looms having been hearing about them over the past few months as they got them set up and running. It was great to get to do so yesterday.

Steve, thanks, cooling off here today too to a little more normal temps for the season. Guess it is a good thing as I was going nuts wanting to put plants out and it is about a month and a half too early.
Good luck with the cat!

Anonymous said...

Fred, Left a comment yesterday don't know what went wrong??
It was great to see you and yours!! How are the hens? Nice pictures. Love ya Mappy

threecollie said...

Matt, hens are great, what fun to watch them! They settled right in and didn't fight with Chick Pea at all. It was great to see you folks too...thanks for the hens. Hope we didn't mess up your schedule too much. I don't know what happened with your comment. I never saw it at all.

Cathy said...

I tried to post several comments yesterday and none of them 'took':0(

I wanted to say how I loved the decency on these faces and how much I understand the way sibs grow more precious over the years.

threecollie said...

Cathy, seems everyone was having problems with the comments and I am so sorry for it. Isn't is wonderful how sibling rivalry fades away!