(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hello New Sitemeter

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hello New Sitemeter

And good bye (and good riddance) all in the same day. I have used Site Meter as a hit counter since the beginning of Northview and I like it. Tried half a dozen other statistical devices and never found anything remotely comparable. I particularly love the referral report which tells me how visitors get here....not to mention that lots of other people spell Palin wrong as I did when I first posted the ten facts about her. I spelled it Paliln. Search term tracking says that lots of other folks do too.

Then this weekend the company rolled out its new "improved" version. I obediently installed the new counter code, only to find that all the reports I read each day were simply gone. In their place were charts and graphs in a nearly microscopic font that told me next to nothing. I tried for quite a while to make the new version work for me, but eventually gave up. I have always used the free version so I suppose I have no right to complain. However I did send them a note about how unworkable I found the new site, then went surfing for something else that would serve.

Imagine my amazement when I clicked on my Site Meter icon later today to find a message that they were migrating the site back to its original form. I was delighted. Like all applications, Site Meter has its faults. However, I have become accustomed to it and comfortable using it and like most human beings I hate change. Many thanks to the company for fixing things up so promptly.

5 comments:

Jeffro said...

I couldn't even get signed in - I was able to use the ID and password they gave me, but my second login with my email addy kept failing - even though I had the correct password. I requested the password to be emailed about ten times, of which I have yet to receive one. Then, the page would time out, and finally they had the announcement that they would be rolling back.

So, I never got to see the "new" stuff - sounds like they were trying to be Google Analytics more than anything else.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

I'm leaving a comment for both me and my mom.

Sitemeter has worked the best for us, but we have a love/hate relationship with it. Last week when they announced that work was going to be done on the site, we stayed out of until today, so I guess we didn't miss anything spectacular. I was so glad when you said that they had changed it back. They must have gotten flooded with nasty emails!

I know what you mean about change, I hate it. Like, can't they just leave it the way it is? I hate looking for a button I used to know right where it was because is the "New and Improved" version of something.

Linda said...

Wordpress has a blog stats page that lets you know kind of how people have found you but I kind of missed my addictive site meter that I had at my other blog. I might have to get it on this one again this winter when I get bored.

Anonymous said...

My experience was similar. I did the new code stuff, and then couldn't sign in to see anything = not very helpful! I sent an email explaining all this, and about a half hour later, the sign was up that they were rolling it back. I suspect their programs weren't working, but don't get too comfortable. I bet they get the bugs out and try it again.

threecollie said...

Jeffro, I could sign in, but coudn't use the remember me feature. On my other blogs I couldn't find the password so I couldn't claim them...pain in the neck

Aussie O, exactly! very few applications ever actually improve anything. Look at Windows Vista. Everybody I know who has it hates it, but is stuck with it. I still have XP and I am not going to change until I have no choice.

Linda, it is so much fun to see who visits, where they live and what they look at...it helps make a better blog really

Akagaga, I got an email from them yesterday in reply to a couple I sent them assuring me that even if they attempt a new beta version they will continue the old version as an option. I thanked them profusely!