(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: If That Ain't Country

Saturday, February 14, 2009

If That Ain't Country

Cow Magnets...but on the water heater


Blitz

Tanker Day

Scotty update, with one pic of her mom and one of Snickers,
the other kitchen calf. Can you spot them?


I thought that since this is a farm blog I should perhaps post some farm pictures, rather than birds and cats and all. You can see how Scotty is thriving after her start in the kitchen, and a little bit of Snickers, who was eager for her pail of milk and not interested in the camera.

We managed to get done and have the milk cooled in time for the tanker today. I think Dale wondered what I was up to, taking photos of his truck....but he didn't ask. Blitz is one of Lizzy's show cows, in my mind the best one she has right now. She and her mother are both much too large for our 200+ year old barn. They have the biggest, best stalls we have but...cows have gotten a lot bigger over the past couple of centuries, so Blitz and Mandy stand with their shoulders in the pipeline. (Here is a baby picture of Blitz) I am going to post some full photos of the ones I combined in the collages over at my photo/overflow blog, The View at Northview, if you would like to take a look at them.

15 comments:

Paintsmh said...

I love Blitz... and Mandy... And Little Blitz...and Monday...Can Blitz and Mandy Mooove to the house?

threecollie said...

Ummmm............no.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Love the cow pics - I like the birds and cats too, but I vote for more cow pics!

Love the calves! Godd job Liz!

The Wife said...

Love Scotty's colored up tail. They look great!

Anonymous said...

Love the dairy pics as we also milk! Does your milk go to a cheese market or fluid? We're fluid.

Love your colored calves-ours are all holstein; kinda boring.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos of the calves - thanks for sharing. Wishing you well and sunshine days.

Nelson Beads said...

Why do you put magnets in the cows' stomaches?

Dani said...

I have the same problem when it comes to having a garden blog. I'm quite partial to the birds and chickens and have to restrain myself sometimes. :)

Freste said...

Are you surrrrrrrrrrre you don't wanna let the two tiny, fragile little critters inside?
(insert pouty look here)
Hey Paints, I tried.

Paintsmh said...

Thank you! I thought perhaps I could keep them in my bed room....

Anonymous said...

I never appreciated cows as much as I do now thanks to you and Liz!
I always appreciated cow magnets, though!

Ed said...

I'm with Joanne, where do you put magnets on, or in cows. Love the baby pics, Scottys getting big...

threecollie said...

Paints, they are lovely cows. They also weigh at least 3/4 of a ton each. So, no, sorry, can't bring them inside.

Nita, sooner or later we will have some nice green background for cow photography. lol

The Wife, she keeps it so fluffy too, always grooming it!

Moomama, mostly fluid, although sometimes on weekends it goes to cheese plants. We get paid on a blend price partly fluid, partly cheese and powder. We used to be straight Holsteins too, but the kids had to have some colored cows. lol

Marlene, thanks so much! And glad you visited!

JoAnn, cows seem to not be too selective when they eat or graze. They often swallow bits of metal that they find, nails, staples, wire etc. These bits sometimes get lodged in their stomach wall, actually affecting the function of their heart. A magnet is shot down their throat, just like a big pill, and hopefully upon landing in the stomach, it pulls the offending metal to the bottom of the stomach where it lies harmlessly. Hopefully. I am vastly grateful to whomever first thought of doing it because it works most of the time and has saved many cows for us.

Dani, your blog is an absolute delight! I love your birds...and the garden...and the sea. When you posted that video where you could hear the waves I was transported....

STeve, OMG, Mandy probably wouldn't fit through the door. Or Blitz for that matter! lol

Paints, um........no

Teri, aren't they the greatest! I always keep a couple in the house

Ed, she is, she is...I put the answer in JoAnn's reply, but you can also find more on it here.
http://northviewdiary.blogspot.com/2007/04/cow-magnets.html#links

Ericka said...

i'm clearly a horrible person. i see cows and think, "dinner and a coat, on the hoof." bad. bad, bad, bad.

threecollie said...

Ericka, I see a good many of them in that light. lol