(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Timberdoodle Time

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Timberdoodle Time

When I walked out of the milk house tonight on my way over to the house to make cole slaw, the belt on the vacuum pump was squeaking. I thought to myself, that sounds exactly like a woodcock's wings when it is doing its sky dance. Most years we have one or two in the horse or heifer pasture over by the house. Hearing them is to me one of the best things about spring.

I grinned to myself as I sloshed through the mud because I knew that it is almost time.
Then as I walked into the house yard I heard the sound again. Almost the exact same twittering, whistling, squeak
, just up by the corner. A glance at the almost full dark cobalt sky revealed a spiraling bird, just coming down in the corner up by Jack's yard.
I paused.
Waited.
And there it came, that nasal, buzzy peent that is one of my very favorite sounds.
They're back.
It IS time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fred ,Could you record it?? I haven't hear one since living at camp with you. Would love to hear it again!!
Love ya
Matt

joated said...

Dang! I've been standing out on the deck at twilight the last week or so and have yet to hear by first this year.

threecollie said...

Matt, I will see if I can, but I am afraid they are too spooky to get close enough. Love you too

Joated, I was so surprised. A couple of days ago there was nothing but ice up there and now it is simply full of birds, the woodcocks, killdeers, geese, blackbirds. it is downright crowded!