(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Roast Wild Goose

Monday, February 01, 2010

Roast Wild Goose

Alan bagged a couple of Branta Canadensis back during the season (nearly dropping one through the sky light on his best friend's parents' house) and he has been after me to cook them. Never having cooked goose (and only having eaten it once...domestic...long frozen...and just plain nasty) I procrastinated.

Finally yesterday I relented, he thawed the goose that was intact (and the one that was much diminished by excess shot) and we hunted up a recipe.

We found this one.

Around here recipes are more like guidelines, so we threw in some extra stuff and left out some other stuff...dumped a box of prepared stuffing that was given to us on top of the critter. Tucked some venison steaks into the pot for anybody who didn't like goose (which could possibly have been all of us). Added a little vinegar, because we have discovered that,
in terms of both tenderness and taste, it does a lot for slow cooking tough meat . Dried cranberries because there was the tag end of a stale bag in the freezer....etc

Then we stuffed it in the oven. Because of milking and chores, which keep me outdoors for quite a while, it got roasted about two hours longer than the recipe called for.

Didn't matter.

Liz tugged off the first piece to see if it was edible. Sure enough it was.

That verdict having been rendered the goose lasted about five minutes before the bones were picked so clean I am wondering if I will be able to find enough bits and pieces to make soup tonight. The guy that wrote the recipe says that it tastes like beef...and it really does, albeit kind of dry beef. Sort of like fine grained-chuck roast that got cooked a tad longer than you planned on. Savory and satisfying. I am amazed to find that I really like wild goose.

I recommend the recipe.
All the recipes other we read that were geared for domestic fowl and would certainly have produced a meal fit for soling a pair of shoes, but this one made for a delicious change from deer and chicken. I wonder when the next goose season opens....

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never had goose but it sounds good! Will have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I've never cared for goose because it's always so tough..........might have to try this though. Someone around here is ALWAYS trying to give me one ;)

Anonymous said...

A woman complained to the bus driver, "that man back there geesed me." "Don't you mean goosed?" he asked, "NO sir," she replied, "he used two fingers" ;-)

threecollie said...

Michelle, I was amazed by how good it was. When I was boning it for soup I couldn't stop nibbling.

Linda, I am so glad I stumbled on that recipe. It turned out much better than I expected and made fantastic soup as well

aka, Ha!!!!

Cathy said...

Toss a buckshot goose, some vinegar, a few steaks and some almost bad cranberries into the pot and you come up with a GREAT POST.

You're a hoot.

threecollie said...

Thanks Cathy, these challenging times have brought out a new approach to cooking for us and the results have been amazing. We eat so much better even though we have less to work with. Should prosperity return I think we will still cook this way. Beck and I are thinking of doing a cookbook with the recipes we have made up.

Alan said...

spring snow goose season is in march...