(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Finch Event...or Alternatively Not a Finch

Monday, May 02, 2011

Finch Event...or Alternatively Not a Finch

This IS a goldfinch

Went out to fill the feeders after morning chores today. As usual there was a noisy cluster of goldfinches hanging around the apple tree and honey locust awaiting that event.

As I neared the tube feeders a small, gold-finchy bird sat on the clothesline between them fending off any regular goldfinches that got impatient and landed nearby.

I couldn't make it look quite right. Although it was close to the color of a female goldfinch, it appeared to have stripes on its breast. When I got really close I saw that it was a pine siskin. We do get them pretty much every winter, but this one is really late.

It also must have been really hungry because I walked over and held the yellow scoop up next to it and it jumped right in and started eating seeds.

I couldn't believe it. Over the years I have hand trained chickadees many times and have a pair that greet me every day when I go outdoors. (And let me know in no uncertain terms when they are hungry.)

However, never have any other birds come in to eat like that, and certainly not wild arctic birds like a siskin. I don't think he was sick because he lit right into other birds like he owned the feeder.

It was pretty cool. I hope he gets all fueled up and gets to where he is going.

6 comments:

lisa said...

That is pretty cool! Bird whisperer are you ;) We had a red breasted grosbeak at the feeder last week and I thought I was seeing things!

R.Powers said...

Neat! What a crisp bright shot you got!

Cathy said...

I love it:
Lisa's 'bird whisperer'.

That is one fine bird.

You are so lucky with that siskin.
I haven't even seen one this year.

threecollie said...

Lisa, it was an incredible day for birds. A few minutes later, a yellow warbler, not a feeder bird at all, came to the feeder and began jumping up and down on the ground under it...catching tiny bugs I'll bet. I wasn't quick enough with the camera, but it was very cool

FC, thanks!

Cathy, made me laugh. We had siskins off and on all winter, but I surely have never had one jump right in the feed scoop. Guess he was hungry, because there was no hesitation, he just hopped right in.

Rebz said...

Pretty birdy.

threecollie said...

rebz, hey there! Hope all is well with you and yours.