(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Counting

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Counting

Speaking of miscounts, this little guy only has one antler


Can anybody help me with the reason for this? (Not the antler, the miscounts on this blog.) I enjoy watching the number of folks who visit Northview, what brings them here, and what they read. I have been noticing lately that the number of hits counted by Site Meter has dropped dramatically. However when I looked at the Google analysis of the site, not only is it showing MORE hits it is showing a LOT more hits.


For example this morning Site Meter is showing 26 and Blogger's internal counter is showing 149. Both sites are set to ignore my own visits. I am thinking of simply ditching SiteMeter. What do you think?


Hmmmm......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day and enjoy it, I love the cow stories.

dickiebo said...

I read yours every day BUT....usually on 'Google Reader' which MAY not count on some blog counters.

Jan said...

I have the same question about Stat Counter. I asked them and they said their stats are based on a cookie on the reader's computer. I don't know any more now than I did before I asked.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Who knows? I don't use Site Meter, but I do belong to Nature Blog Network, which keeps a count. Google Blogger also offers stats, and the numbers are never the same as NBN's. But on both sites, readership has fallen off considerably of late. I think folks are just away from their computers more in the summer.

Earl said...

I don't count, but you are an adult and a woman and never really need advice. So you could someday tell us what you think, which is why we visit here. Nice young buck.

Ruth said...

Sitemeter's been screwy the last several days.....

lisa said...

I know you have nothing to worry about!

Jeffro said...

They are recording separate things. Sitemeter records unique hits, while Google's shows page views.

Unique hits are "fresh" and single. Page views are how many pages are viewed, from one to many - are counted. If your page views were the same as your unique hits, that would show no one is getting past one page when they arrive. If the page views are much higher than the uniques, that means visitors are spending more time reading different things after they get there.

threecollie said...

anon, thank you so much!

Dickiebo, hmm, I hadn't thought of that...and thanks for reading

Jan, yeah, I almost tried to contact Site Meter, but decided not to.

WW, I wondered if that might be part of it. I know Facebook has been pretty dead all summer. lol

Earl, lol, that may indeed be true. We are wondering what happened to his other antler.

Ruth, it didn't seem to be working at all on Sunday.

Lisa, lol, hope you are feeling better, girl!

Jeffro, aha, thank you sir. Guess I have been missing that