(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Hmmmm

Monday, August 20, 2012

Hmmmm

Liz and Becky with Richard in his later days. 
Although he was sweet to them,
 there was still a fire in that little furnace.

To say that the weather is disconcerting is an understatement. Years ago when I was showing my late pony, Deranged Richard, we had a fall like this....and I use the term advisedly...it may be August but the feeling of summer's end is strong. Nights are chilly and mornings pearly with cotton ball fog.

Richard was a hot little Shetland that a friend bought from the kill pen at an auction as a five-year old stallion that had never even looked through a halter. This friend is an incredibly talented horseman. He quickly broke Richard to drive and showed him extensively in the area, pointing him to year-end champion driving pony soon after.

That little chestnut was a pistol! He was tough as a walnut, strong as a bull,and pretty as a speckled pup. He had a gorgeous trot that just wouldn't quit. My friend gave him to me after a couple of years of campaigning and the little bugger taught me a whole lot about horsemanship that I had been missing out on with gentle old Magnum, my original horse. At first he had me buffaloed more often than not. After a while I learned how to handle him.

And after a bit I started trying to show him myself. One fall when I had him at the show, Fonda Fair week, we got a hard frost, after several chilly weeks like this.I can remember practically freezing and trying to keep him warm enough so his coat would lie flat and shine. He turned into a regular wooly bear in the fall and you could hardly tell there was a handsome pony under there.

Anyhow, actually this early cold weather isn't at all unprecedented as the first or second week of September used to be the first frost date most years when I was a kid. Even when the kids were big enough to show cows at Altamont, there were years when that mid-summer fair was a frigid affair and washing cows became problematic.

I am hoping that at least frost holds off for another month or two to save the corn and sorghum and other tender crops. The year so far has been bad enough, although crops here are much better than in the west.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Please let the frost hold off....please let the frost hold off.....dammit I want honeydews from my garden, the frost better hold off!!

Terry and Linda said...

Its 73* here as I write...11 in the morning and cool for August. Although, I love the weather it is a tad bit off. Feels more like late September. To top all that off the beans are ready NOW! Terry is fixing the combine as I write...some of the farmers have already started the pinto harvest...all three or four weeks early.

Makes me wonder what is in store for winter...rather a tad bit of a worry I might add.


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

lisa said...

That picture had to of been a wonderful memory!

threecollie said...

Ruth, I am hoping. Maybe this week was just a quirk as it is supposed to be getting back up into the eighties.

Linda, it is the same way here, not bad, not too hot, not too cold, just weird

Lisa, they had a lot of fun with the silly old guy,

Cathy said...

Marianne . . . this is far enough down in your blog that I don't feel I'm scuttling it by sharing this dashed off poem that distilled from the need to deal with our shared sense of this subtle inexorable tilting toward fall and winter . . .

Our place in Loudonville is on a hilltop . . so there are thermals and critters working them.



Summer Shadows

Tandem butterflies drift upward.
Autumn in reverse.
Three stories up you still stare into green.
Only the dihedral shadows
of vultures' wings passing over bright zinnias,
and mown grass
speak of hunger
and endings.

threecollie said...

Cathy, never feel that you are "scuttling it" by sharing your wonderful poems. Your writing is incredibly moving and descriptive and I love them. Thanks for sharing this one.