(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: The Realities of Dairy Farming.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Realities of Dairy Farming.


Here are a few links on the never-ending saga of low prices for fluid milk at the farm gate  and perhaps a little insight into some of the whys.

First a little bit about the probable impact of the Yogurt Summit recently held in NY. I strongly agree with the writer. Any shortage of milk will self-correct as soon as farmers can make back their cost of production. Offer them a chance at a profit and you won't know what to do with all the milk.

And here is a little behind the scenes stuff that you can interpret any way you want to. Sometimes conspiracy theorists are right after all.

A bit from the Land Down Under where farmers are up against much the same forces as we are in the USA.

A heart-breaking story of too little too late for one farm, that could easily represent many other farms.

And so you have a chance to smile, a short interview with one of my favorite farm writers, Patricia Leimbach.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Some of our long time dairy farms in the Central Valley have declared bankruptcy...heartbreaking.

Cathy said...

Alright! I'm working my way from the bottom up and started with that interview of Pat Leimbach.

Proud Ohio! I love it. What a treasure.

I'm telling you Marianne.

You should get your writing together . . send it her way.

threecollie said...

Jan, I just read that a third of the dairy farms in Missouri will go out of business this year. We already get a huge percentage of our beef from South America...where will the milk come from.

Cathy, I think you would love Pat's books. She was a farm columnist for 38 years and her collections of essays have been a great inspiration to me. We corresponded a bit back when the kids were toddlers and she encouraged me to write way back before the thought had even crossed my mind.

Cathy said...

OK. That is so neat that you've had contact with her.