(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Something in the Sky

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Something in the Sky

Do you know what is going on here?

Thanks to building fence with Alan I do but before that I would have been mightily puzzled

Not sure just what. I have this vague memory of days when you didn't need three shirts and you could see where you were going.


Whatever is causing this odd extra light is coming up over the horizon right now, although it is still cold as heck out there...not quite freezing but four degrees of two darned close.
.

We went out yesterday, the boss to fence, me to keep him company and look for warblers. He is well on the way through the last line, with some brush to cut, wires to put up, and things to patch and putter on. A couple trees here and there that fell in the winter's high winds and landed, naturally, on the fence.

I saw plenty of warblers...flocks....but all but one Yellow Warbler were on the back side of trees, fluttering behind leaves. Oh, well. 


Big Day is Saturday with all-day drenching rain predicted. Last year Becky, Alan, and I got 42 species right here on the farm, including a Cerulean Warbler, never seen before and only heard thereafter. I don't think we will be that lucky this year....I will prolly be doing it alone anyhow. But, hey, you never know.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Yes, this weather is making birding an entirely different affair this year.
As for that gooey glom - I'd have called it "witch's butter". . but is it man-made goo? :)

threecollie said...

Cathy, it is a cut off grapevine from last year. Evidently they flow with sap and something....perhaps a fungus...turns the sap amazing colors. If they are freshly cut I guess you can drink what amounts to cool, clear water from the cuts. Alan does anyhow....so far I haven't. We got a great day birding in yesterday, actually got a Common Loon on our river in a park we visit. I was astounded and delighted. And with the boss's incredible vision Blue Grey Gnatcatchers were spotted on the other side of the Erie Canal and then came over to flitter over our heads. Fun!