(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Chance

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Chance


I nearly always turn on the yard light when I walk the doggies before dawn. Kinda creepy out there you know.

However, this morning, what with the barely waning moon, I left it off. I was hoping to see the deer that have been coming down to look for leftover bits of hay around the yards. With such short snow cover this winter there are still a lot of them hanging around even this late in the season.

I was quickly rewarded by ghost bunnies drifting silently into the bushes after cavorting on the lawn all night. For some reason the dogs never seem to see them.




Frost outlining the cars seemed lit from within, its haunting luminescence casting an eerie glow over their mundane shapes.

Shadows from the house and trees were stark, sharply defined as ink drawings, and the lights across the river seemed almost magical.

It was almost ten degrees, which felt like summer after the cold and winds we've been having....back to that tomorrow night btw...and for once I didn't mind Finn's usual Border Collie deliberations about just which "spot" was the right one. 

Then as I looked up at the sky for who knows what reason, except that I look at the sky a lot, a shooting star blazed and winked out, right over my head.

Amazing. I don't believe I have seen more than one or two since I used to take the kids out on the hills when there was a meteor shower...... I had to come right in and tell you about it, even though I am supposed to be racing to complete the Farm Side, having goofed off with the CBC yesterday and the holiday on Monday.


5 comments:

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

I can't make out what on earth that first picture is. You sound like you had a magical morning out there. I can't conceive of being up that early in the morning. Love, Mom

Jan said...

I love how you can turn an early morning dog walk into an epic poem. That is why I always come here.

Terry and Linda said...

WOW! Lucky you! And right over you head!

I love your writing, Marianne!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

As if that gorgeous frosty morning weren't enough, a shooting star, just for you!

threecollie said...

Mom, it is a thin curl of snow hanging off the barn eaves. Never seen anything quite like it...it is because it is so cold I think. Same thing over at Dollar Gen in Fonda. Weird. Love you!

Jan, thanks, these past few cold days have had me waxing a lot more profane than poetic I fear. Feel as if I am assuming room temperature a lot faster than I had planned.

Linda, it really made my day...and thanks, same goes

Jacqueline, it was a nice surprise and not as cold as it is now. These days it is all about endurance