(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Sunnycrest Orchard

Friday, June 28, 2024

Sunnycrest Orchard

 


I don't remember the exact first time Ralph took me there. He and his mom had been buying fruit and plants there, probably since the place first opened, but Schoharie County was new territory for me. My adventuring had been mostly to the north, Fulton and Hamilton Counties, and I was in for a delightful surprise.

The front part of the building in those days was filled with tables heaped with fat, glistening apples, all red, green, and gold, bursting with sweet juice, and even sweeter temptation, for an old apple hound like me.

And then there was Mr. Schilde. He knew Ralph and Peg and delighted in telling them of his extensive travels all over the world. He had served in the Peace Corps, and, did he ever have stories to tell. Just talking to him for a few minutes as we shopped was like a college course but a lot more interesting and no homework either. We often discussed what he taught us all the way home and sometimes for days afterward. There is nothing that rivals someone who makes you think and he surely did. We  miss him still.

Later the apples were joined by greenhouses full of treasures to tempt the most blasé gardener alive. There was something for every taste and always blooming with health and vigor.

Every year we lamented the late winter closing period and eagerly awaited spring opening day. I thought it was better than baseball's Spring Training, even though I love the game.

As Ralph grew busier managing the farm It was I who took Peg for her spring plants. She loved the place as much as I did. Such delight in  walking into the dense, humid air of the greenhouses with the glowing array of flowers stretching wall-to-wall. Often the air buzzed with hummingbirds sampling the flowery feast and the only challenge was picking which plants to bring home.

Along with the popular standards like petunias and marigolds, there were always fascinating exotics. Last year I bought a Lion's Ear plant and enjoyed it mightily as it grew higher than my kitchen window. (Thanks again to the nice lady who sent me seeds, which I started and set out this spring). There was always something cool tucked away in the odd corner that I just had to bring home and try. I also got some Pineapple Sage last year and loved that too. (Thanks Matt and Lisa.)

In recent years Sunnycrest became my go to for tomato plants. I used to start from seed, but trays of tiny tomatoes were crowded out by my ridiculous array of houseplants hogging the big windows. Theirs were of varieties I liked and hardy, sturdy, and ready to grow. This spring was no exception.

Last week we learned that the business had been sold. At first it was like contemplating the end of an old friend. We truly love the place. Since the announcement we have been over twice, first to find something to put in that ugly purple planter pot. Pink Gomphrena and dark purple Salvia....perfect...it is pretty now!

Then yesterday we went back just to kind of look around and enjoy the nostalgia of a place we visited with great delight every year since we met, forty-some odd years ago.



Becky came along, and somehow the two of them each bought me a new plant. Becky chose a gigantic fuchsia. Hoo boy! I tried one bitd and failed dismally. Ralph picked out a cute little green job with leaves like strawberries and fuzzy pink kitty-tail flowers. Hope I can keep them growing for the summer. Can't wait to see what the hummers think of them.

Anyhow, we nodded goodbye to Tim and Laurie, and carried off our treats. I managed to step on a cherry tomato that fell off a plant someone was carting out. Splat. It was kind of a comical ending I guess. 

However, now I am allowing myself to be excited that the business will be rising like a  phoenix, hopefully this fall. I guess the new folks are returning to three seasons of operation, which should be fun. Who knows what cool new plants and ideas will be forthcoming!

If you get a chance, run over to Sharon Springs and grab some of the great bargains available until they close on the 30th. It's never too late to add something fun to your garden and you can always find a bare spot or an empty pot. (I thought I was done planting and out of room, but lo and behold, both the new treasures found attractive homes on the sitting porch. I would not be surprised if we somehow happened to wander over that way for just one more visit...

Best wishes to everyone at Sunnycrest and to the new folks carrying on the tradition. Maybe we will see you there.

Also, if anyone has any advice on keeping a fuchsia going, let me know. Thanks!







4 comments:

Shirley said...

Some great memories there!
Fuschias area shade plant. Keep them out of the sun and don't let them get too dried out and they should be fine!
I hope the new owners can live up to the past owners.

Terry and Linda said...

Terry's mother ALWAYS had large lovely Fuschias---they lived on her heated back porch, facing the Eastern sun.

Cathy said...

" . . .to kind of look around and enjoy the nostalgia of a place we visited with great delight every year since we met, forty-some odd years ago.' I love your love of this delightful place.

threecollie said...

Shirley, thanks! I am going to try to keep it damp enough without drowning it.

Linda, my mom loved them too, as did my late best friend. I had one once and promptly killed it. Hope I do better this time!

Cathy, thanks! It has been important to us for a long time. We do love our fruits and plants.