(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Magnum

Monday, January 29, 2007

Magnum


Nights when sleep is slow in coming I reconstruct my old horse in my mind. Sometimes I start at the bottom at his round black hooves, with just the one waxy, yellowish white one on the near hind that looked pink inside when it was raining. I can say, "Pick," in my mind and he will hand me a hoof so I can scrape clean the grooves around his rubbery frogs and the edges of his shiny steel shoes.

I work my way up over his strong pasterns and the hard roundness of his shaggy fetlocks, with the sharp little bony place at the back that you could always feel through the hair. Next to his cannon bones, on legs so solid that the only unsoundness he ever had in over thirty years of life was a splint he popped when he was two. I am usually asleep by the time I reach the night eyes or chestnuts, the little oblong protuberances on the inside of his upper legs. I am told that those are vestigial toes from the days when horses ran on more than the one toe they use now.

If I start at the top the first thing I envision touching are his fringed black fox's ears. He had wonderful ears. They would flop all anyhow when I was grooming him, or prick eagerly at the prospect of dinner. How he loved to eat...he was always hog fat in summer, so round he made my knees ache when I rode him bareback, which I always did. Next come the deep hollows over his dark brown eyes. They say the offspring of an older mare will have deeper depressions there. I don't know if it is true, but his dam was not young when he was born and his hollows were always as deep as those of an old horse. In my mind I can feel the silky hair of his forelock when I brushed it and the wiry waves of his long, thick mane. I have never stayed awake long enough to feel his sharp withers or to dig my fingers into the soft fur between his forelegs, where he loved to be scratched. However, if I go over him in the daytime, inside the memories of our decades together I find every dapple, feel his elbows, knees and the soft hair on his upper lip when he licked my hand for the salt.

I can remember the way he felt bouncing between my knees at the bottom of Grey Road Hill. He knew we were going to run up it every time we went that way and he loved it as much as I did. What a feeling to have him canter in place beneath me waiting for the slightest lift of rein, the least shift of weight to tell him, go, go, go, race up that hill as if tomorrow waited at the top.

He would pound up the winding curves running so fast he was flat on top, not a ripple in his racing. Then as we reached the apex his fine chiseled head would come up, his back would round into a canter and he would snort with delight, as if to say, "We done good boss, didn't we?"

We had to put him down about four years ago when he colicked from an impaction and twisted intestine. He was 31. I bought him when he was two and I was just past twenty. When I get to missing him...and I do...because you never have more than one first horse and he was both my first and my last, although I owned many others during his lifetime...when I get to missing him, I reconstruct him in my mind and then we tear hell bent for the top of Grey Road Hill just one more time.

Barbaro's death got me thinking of him today....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... thanks! Unashamedly, I have tears running past my smile.

Joni said...

Wow you can write girl! I am in awe!!

threecollie said...

Sorry about that NW. Putting together the way I remember him is just something I do when I am stressed or want to sleep. I had him so very long, that I really knew him better than I do most people.

Hi joni and thank you. Coming from someone who writes as well as you do yourself that is a big compliment and I appreciate it very much.

Paintsmh said...

Man, how I miss that old horse. He sure was the greatest.

Anonymous said...

yeah hurts losin' an old horse 'specially one like magnum, god he was a pistol. brings back losing richard,just before mags December 4th freshman year then like December 30th... sure do miss that old pony... and you did own jack before you gave him to me. amazing how that little brat of a pony is the perfect horse for me, though. Jackster was the best gift anyone's ever given me.
love always- anonymous

dmmgmfm said...

That is such a lovely tribute. You've made me cry you know.

threecollie said...

Paints and anon.. Thanks, he was a nice old guy...and anon...Jack is a PONY not a horse. Glad you like him...and love you too.

Sorry Laurie, but thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wow... thank you for sharing that. Really got to me...

threecollie said...

Hi Matthew, and thanks

The MacBean Gene said...

What a wonderful post. I can't improve on Joni's comment

Anonymous said...

genetically he is decended from minis so.... he's a large very small horse. don't agrue with me i know my little black ball of evil better than you do.

threecollie said...

Thanks, Dave!

And okat anon, I won't

R.Powers said...

OKay, lump in throat.
That was a beautiful tribute.
Simply beautiful.

threecollie said...

Thanks FC, he was a great guy and I knew him longer than I have known most of the people in my life.