(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Guest post

Monday, March 05, 2007

Guest post

This was written by our esteemed veterinarian here at Northview and is something folks really should be aware of....



Beware, American Consumers!

I am writing to inform the unwitting American consumer, that they are being duped and defrauded by the Retailers of America, of which, Price Chopper has just joined the ranks. There is a rapidly growing movement to sell milk by large processors and retailers (Wal-Mart, Dean Foods, Price Chopper, etc.) at a higher price to the consumer by calling it "rBST-free", or "artificial hormone free” milk. BST (Bovine Somatotropin) is a naturally occurring hormone produced by all cows in response to lactation. All milk has the same amount of BST in it, whether or not cows are injected with rBST (Posilac). So the milk that is labeled as being different and sold at a premium is no different.

rBST (recombinant Bovine Somatotropin) is a FDA-approved supplement, that about 20-30% of our Dairy Farmers use to help cows produce more milk. It is one of the most heavily researched and studied drugs to ever be approved for use in Animal Agriculture, and has been in use for over 12 years. It is simply a tool that helps dairy farmers make a living.

Aside from the baseless fear marketing to the consumers, what is the most troubling about this trend towards “rBST- free” milk is that it is occurring at a time when farmers are enduring the worst prices they have ever seen. They are receiving the same for their milk that they received in the 1970's and 80's, yet we all know how much more fuel, electric, and other inputs cost today. Under current market conditions, not a single dairy farmer is making a profit milking cows.

To add insult to injury, they are being coerced into giving up a safe, approved technology, without adequate and fair compensation. The only people profiting from “rBST-free” milk are the processors and retailers. It is very troubling to me that the labels are illegal and misleading, according to the Food and Drug Administration, which is not enforcing its own labeling laws. So please don=t be mislead. All Milk is Milk. Whether it is produced Organically, or non-Organically, with r-BST or without. It has the same composition. It is all antibiotic free. It all has hormones in it. Milk is Milk.

The only way to stop this movement of selling milk through fear tactics is to not buy it. Buy regular milk; the same milk you have been buying forever. Don't spend your hard earned money on a marketing ploy, that is illegal and misleading, and driving dairy farmers out of business. Our farmers are the most efficient food producers in the world. We need to support them and appreciate them, or we will some day be as dependent on foreign food as we are on foreign oil.

Kris Harshman, DVM

Dairy Veterinarian since 1985

9 comments:

dmmgmfm said...

I saw some of that in Walmart (I don't like Walmart, but there's no where else around here) today. I bought my usual brand, however. Thanks for the info!

Breezey375 said...

I just love intelligent people... Kinda sad people buy into that isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I thought this letter was very well presented, and I'm pleased to see it here in your blog.

I have written to both Stewart's and Hannaford, saying that I'm pleased that they haven't bought into this marketing ploy, and that I will continue to frequent their stores. I also wrote to Price Chopper, expressing my opinion and assuring them that I won't shop there again.

threecollie said...

Hi Laurie, I believe we will soon be able to read Kris's own blog on the topic. Can't wait..

Breezey, yes it is...but how can they know unless we tell them that they are being bilked?

Hi NW, good for you! I have been glad that Stewart's so far has stayed away from it. On a related topic I went into Price Chopper yesterday to get some stuff for chili and couldn't buy butter beans because that whole section of the vegetable aisle has been taken over by organic junk...at twice the price!

Marie said...

Thanks for the info. Duly noted.

threecollie said...

Thanks for visiting Marie, and for taking time to comment. I am glad to find your blog too, which is informative and entertaining.

Breezey375 said...

And how do we know they aren't pulling a tree in the woods and ignoring us?

Ontario Wanderer said...

Interesting! I really don't believe much that I read in a store and we don't read the newspaper or watch TV so I guess we are missing a lot of consumer information. I don't feel too bad about it. Meanwhile, on the topic of milk, I think I gave up "milk" years ago. Having been brought up on real milk that I helped obtain, by hand, from our cows I do have vague memories of what "milk" is. The 1% vaguely white stuff that I buy at the store is mostly coloured water in my opinion but I've used it so long that I am used to it now.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

I also find it amazing how manipulative the culture is. Media creates a hype, and the masses fall in line. This is scary!

Thanks for the great post. Good info.