(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Iditarod Starts

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Iditarod Starts

My favorite sporting event of the year and the last great race has begun in Anchorage, Alaska.
82 teams, 1000 dogs, what could be more exciting? It kicked off yesterday with the ceremonial start downtown and will continue for over a thousand miles over frozen snow, hard bare ground and some of the roughest conditions on earth. To the winner $69,000 and a truck. to everyone, even those of us who follow from afar, a huge dose of pioneer-style adventure and excitement.
For the best coverage I have found visit Cabela's Iditarod site.


Jeff King is always a favorite of mine, but it is easy to get behind almost anyone brave and determined enough to get behind a team of dogs and head out into the wilderness. Included among them is the husband of the late Susan Butcher and their daughter, Tekla, who will ride the trail later this season in her honor.

There is much excitement over this year's event, as there is the potential for another five time winner if any of several mushers including King and Martin Buser or Doug Swingley should win.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

For Iditarod race facts: http://www.helpsleddogs.org.

threecollie said...

HIJACK, (wait a minute, better not yell that on a plane).
I won't bother with your animal rights junk because you don't have a public profile.... That entirely destroys your credibility from where I am sitting. I have opinions, but I am up front about who I am...you are not. Also, I have seen how animal rights activists twist every interaction between humans and animals and am not impressed.

dmmgmfm said...

My brother always says his dog pulls like a sled dog when she's on the leash, so yesterday I was teasing him about not being there for the big race.

threecollie said...

Laurie, yeah, most dogs love to pull. We have harnesses and a home made gang line and we used to hook the dogs up to pull the kids around. Even though they are trained herding dogs they just loved it...couldn't wait to be hooked up for a run around the playground. lol

Carina said...

Yeah! I always follow the Iditarod.
I'm not bothering to check Jack's link...is it the same lying crap PETA is disseminating?
I have friends with Malamutes, they belong to a sledding organization and go to Northern MI and Canada several times a year for days long treks with their dogs. Most dogs would be so lucky!

Carina said...

PS - I don't get spam on any recent posts without word verification. I DO get it on older posts though...like entries from over a year ago. Since I get notified of any comments, I can remove them quite easily.

R.Powers said...

Pretty amazing race.
I don't follow it closely, but it is refreshingly different.

Breezey375 said...

My guy's back.. My guy's back... Think Dallas'll do better this year? (I just love the Seaveys, they have cute dogs....;)

threecollie said...

Hi FC, always been a favorite of mine...sort of the world series for dog folks.

Breezey, cute guys is more like it...I know you! lol

Breezey375 said...

Drat!! You know me too well... It's just too bad the really cute one is at college in Michigan(je pense)..... Drat! What's wrong with Hicksville College I might ask?