(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Crazy day

Friday, December 28, 2007

Crazy day


It started out as ordinary enough though. We milked the cows and fed the calves and the boss cleaned the stables. Then while we were working we began hearing gunfire all around us. The boss went outside to look, but thought it was across the river.

We decided to move some calves outside before we went in to eat. Big rodeo. They had not been led for the most part and jumped all over Liz and tried to run over the rest of us and leap through the gates and generally gave us a rough time. Heard more shooting, this time up behind the house. Went in for breakfast. Heard still more shooting. Boom, boom, boom..clearly a shot gun,...glad I am not buying their shells as there had so far been at least 20 shots.

Suddenly I heard a LOT of shooting and it sounded like it was right over in the cow pasture. The boss, Liz and I took off right away as we had put the springing heifers out there while we moved calves. By the time my slow, old self got up there (visions of all kind of bad possibilities dancing in my head) the young stock were coming back up from where they had bolted down to the barn gate. We never did find out who was out there or even just where they were, but after we went out the shooting at least stopped. I found one of the heifers hiding by the big tree in the upper photo and thought it looked kind of interesting.



Spooked but interested in what I was up to.

Soooo.....we went back in to try to finish our breakfast. While we were inside the corn meal that was delayed by yesterday's storm was finally delivered. Then a fellow that is interested in buying some semen from the shorthorn bull when we draw him arrived unexpectedly to look at him and check out his daughters. Guess he liked him because he wants to buy some when we get it back.

I had to kind of hustle him along as we had a big day of cleaning mangers planned. I felt bad about it, but my help was needed. It was a major task as we have been behind since the boss got hurt. We mostly got it done anyhow and the guys built a real nice feeder for the calf pen where we put the ones we moved. Cows got fed pretty late, which made milking a bit late too, but we were still back in the house by just after eight. I had cooked a roast and some potatoes and carrots and everything was ready when we came in, for which I was grateful as I was just plain ready to be done. It was about as busy a day as we have had in a while and I sure would like to know what was going on with all the shooting, but we got a lot done so I won't complain....doesn't pay anyhow. Now I am going to go take a shower so I don't smell like bad feed and cow manure and get all rested up for tomorrow's dose of fun on the farm.

6 comments:

Jesse said...

Around here this time of year if you hear shotgun blasts it is safe to assume it is goose hunters.

threecollie said...

Hi Jesse, I don't think there is much of anything open here except squirrel and rabbit. It is unusual to hear so much shooting this late in the year mostly; these guys were really going crazy. We were afraid for the heifers. Folks just a couple of miles from here had a cow shot and killed (two shots so no accident) by bow hunters in deer season. Whatever was going on the stock was okay although very spooked and running.

R.Powers said...

Could be new shotguns for Christmas and an urge to shoot the new toy.

threecollie said...

FC, You could very well be right. They must have gone through at least three boxes of shells....don't know what happened with your wood (and thanks again for the kindness) but it hasn't arrived here yet. We had the lady at the post office dig around yesterday to no avail. so sorry...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like duck hunters to me. Also sounds like you got a lot of work done. All that would have me in bed right after supper!

threecollie said...

Tim, it did, believe me...supper was pretty late though. lol
Could have been duck hunters, but we are pretty far from the river. I am just glad they went away.