(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: One of those days

Friday, April 25, 2008

One of those days


Busy. Interesting. Springy.
Right after milking the boss left for the crop center to get a spreader wagon to spread some fertilizer, seeds (alfalfa, alsike clover, timothy, brome, trefoil, field peas and barley), which is how we plant our hay crop. As soon as he was gone Beck and I saw the heifers working the fence. We threw them some hay to keep them quiet as we didn't have time to do anything else with them.

I drove Beck to school and on the way home saw a massive column of smoke to the north. It looked like an F5 tornado looks on television with a massive, swirling base and a column of smoke that could be seen for at least thirty miles. I couldn't pull off anywhere to take a decent photo...these were from our front yard. It was a mill complex in Johnstown, just a tiny distance from where my great-great aunt used to live. Biggest fire there in decades. I give a lot of credit to firefighters who got it knocked down fairly quickly. Alan's school was filled with smoke and the pricipal took quick action to close air vents to prevent outside air from filtering in, He also called the fire companies about whether toxic chemicals were burning so he could close school if needed.




Although I couldn't stop to get fire pictures, I was able to pull off the highway to move this lady (I saw lady because she was probably a fifth of a mile from water and headed for the woods..going to lay eggs maybe?) off the highway.
Anyhow I carried her to safety . Another much larger turtle had already been hit and was struggling with a badly broken shell.


I believe she is an Eastern Painted turtle, one of my favorites. (Chrysemes picta)
She didn't seem too thrilled to have her picture taken, even though she did have all her bright red and yellow makeup on.



There were some little tennis ball-sized painted turtles loafing on logs at Lykers when I stopped, but they were quick to slide into the water...too quick for photos, (unlike the fish, which are still swirling around the culvert opening). Big bull frog tadpoles there too, also too swift for pictures.


Back home, there wasn't a person to be found. Liz was visiting her boy friend. The boss was still at the plant. There were no heifers to be found either. The yard where the four of them stay was bare and empty. I changed my shoes and headed out to find them, (flip flops being lousy for running after cows). Luckily I found them locked in the barn. Later I also found out why my garden pond was down several inches. One of them jumped the fence and drank until she looked like a barrel. Liz put them all in the barn after that. They need to go to pasture. Dry hay just doesn't cut it when there is green grass to gobble...and tasty garden ponds to tipple.

The boss planted his seeding and cultipacked one of the two fields. The second will be done today. I planted dahlias, lilies of the valley, cannas....wild flowers...and lots of other stuff and cleaned the stock tank and figured out how to teach Beck to drive without anyone being killed by the fact that she can't steer. Killing two birds with one stone, in fact...she will drive the garden tractor mowing the lawn. Alan is too busy to do his traditional chore...and she can't steer, throwing those of us who ride in the car with her into paroxysms of terror on tight corners. The lawn mower plan seems brilliant to me. She learns to drive, albeit on a small scale. Alan is free to drive bigger tractors doing bigger jobs. And I get my lawn mowed to boot!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a day! Wonderful post. I especially liked "garden ponds to tipple".

That fire in Johnstown was about 1/3 mile north of me - and the rather brisk breeze was directly out of the north. Before I knew about the fire, I was outside, admiring the daffodils in the crisp morning air. Suddenly, I had a very strange experience - everything rapidly got dark and blurry, and, for a panicky moment, I wondered if I was having a stroke! Then I smelled the smoke and looked up to see the huge black cloud of smoke moving over the house. On radar, it looked like a huge bright pink storm.

Cinders, burning embers, and ashes drifted down over our neighborhood, along with "rain" from the steam generated by the water put on the fire. Neighbors took to the street to direct traffic (vehicles from downtown were rerouted through here) and to help deliver water and Gatorade to those fighting the fire. Many of us roamed around watching for fires from the smoldering embers. It sure was a relief to see the police helicopter slowly hovering over the houses, checking out all these flat roofs that are so hard to see from the ground.

This was a big fire, with plenty of dry fuel from the old buildings and lots of assistance from the dry breezes. It really wouldn't have taken much for the fire to have engulfed the whole city. Those firefighters deserve a huge High Five for their fast and competent response. -NW

Anonymous said...

I have never seen such a pretty turtle. The colors are so bright compared to the mostly camo colored ones we have here.

I think your plan to get your yard mowed and teach driving lessons at the same time is brillant!

Jinglebob said...

When I was 6 my Dad put me on an old 8N Ford tractor and showed me how to run it. I then chased him and my older brother all over a hay field all morning. After dinner, and his making sure I knew how to drive good, which like a fool I agree'd I did, he hooked me up to a hay rake and I was stuck on tractors in the summer, putting up hay, for years! What a dirty trick to pull on a little kid. I don't know how old Beck is, but congratulations on being so sneeky and now getting a job done. Kind of a Tom Sawyer plan, huh?

Anonymous said...

I love your posts, I can get my nature lesson right here. We are too far away from the river to see any turtles.
I'm jealous of your nice weather, but I know you need it after such a cold and long winter.
Happy Spring at last!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic looking "turtortoise" thingy there. Spiffy looking colors that you pretty much don't see here.
Of course the mowing/driving lessons are coincidental and as long as it works for everyone, then there ya go. Goodness for everybody. Good luck Beck.
Is the lucky girl who jumped the fence, the one who likes to get brushed?
With days like this, how do you know when the next adventure will happen???
:-)

threecollie said...

NW, wow, that must have been simply terrifying! I read this morning that it was caused by a contractor sawing steel and not having a fire extinguisher nearby. What a devastating mess! Glad your house is all right.

Tipper, now I just have to get her to follow through with it. I love painted turtles...this is about the only time we see them much as they stay in the water for the most part.

Jinglebob, that worked good with out son too! The daughters weren't so eager to get out there and drive....sadly. Beck is 20. She really needs to learn. My husband started driving real young too. I was more like Beck. lol

Nita, thanks so much. Guess we are in for some rain now. It has been nice to have good weather for planting, but I guess the fire danger is pretty serious.

Steve, As I said to Tipper, we don't see them much except sunning on logs, because they are very aquatic...except at spring egg laying time. I almost brought her home, but my conscience got the better of me and I just moved her across the road. After the photos of course.
And we never know what will happen next. Management by crisis I call it. The heifer was just one of the herd, but she let Liz put her in the barn without a battle, which was much appreciated.

R.Powers said...

Catching up on several posts again ... dialup really stinks.

Congrats on the roundrobin discussion invite ... you're famous!

I think that fishy culvert would captivate me for hours fish watching... and of course, you know I love your turtle shots. Good of you to assist.

Pretty clever Mom tactic to get the mowing done as driving practice.
Nice one.
:)

threecollie said...

FC, thanks for visiting..and dial up does stink. Deprives you of so much content!
I love visiting the culvert. It is down a very steep not-old-lady-friendly bank so I don't crawl down...the camera brings it closer.

Windyridge said...

We see turtles frequently especially on our drive up to the cabin. We often have to stop and help them cross the road. I wonder if any of them were painted turtles. I just presumed they were snappers.

threecollie said...

WR, you have a lovely area up there! We see a few turtles, but not a whole bunch.