(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: DA Surgery

Saturday, April 26, 2008

DA Surgery

(And no, the district attorney wasn't involved.) My Citation R Maple daughter, England, has been not quite right since she had a calf a week ago ( black heifer we named Egypt). Yesterday, she was not eating or acting right and she had a tell-tale fullness in the big triangle in her left flank. We called our vet.

The doctor confirmed what we thought. A displaced abomasum, one of the cow's four stomach compartments, Sometimes that part of the stomach flips over and then the whole digestive tract fails. Surgery is indicated to empty excess gases, flip the stomach back up and sew it in place. The poor doctor injured her back the day before, so it was rough for her but she got it done.

England was still feeling pretty sorry for herself last night, but she did chew her cud a bit and eat a little hay. Hopefully she will be livlier this morning.

Liz is milking so I can have a morning off. In answer to a question from a friend, she will be interning until May 30. Most of spring...feels like years.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope England feels better soon. And a morning off is nice!

Stacy said...

I hope everything turns out ok with England. Funny...I had a friend who had surgery a couple of years ago because her stomach was flipped over. I think I can get some mileage out of this (she's the type I can do that with).

Pretty rooster!

Deb said...

I learn something every time I get the chance to read your blog. I didn't know this was an issue with cows. I'll definately be researching this. I hope England makes a full recovery and congrats on the heifer :0)

What type of chicken is that?

Enjoy your morning off.

Deb

Breezey375 said...

HEY it's a picture of Satan!!!! Very nice of you to put my baby on here...

Linda said...

It always amazes me how tough a cow can be.
May 31st isn't all that far off and it's something to look forward to.
I love your rooster.

Anonymous said...

Those few weeks will fly past so quickly won't they? After that, sounds like a good time for a well deserved vacation. That's just a ton of time to put in.
How does Mr. Mr. like his new home? Did he get some cuties to keep him company?

threecollie said...

Tipper, thanks! She isn't 100% but she was eating a lot better yesterday

STacy, Ha, glad she will be good sport about it and happy to provide a source of entertainment! Thanks, he is a pretty but ill mannered sort of guy. lol

Deb, It is a condition we work real hard to prevent, attempting to always keep the cows eating and full, but sometimes...He is an Americana, the tailed version of the Araucana, the green egg laying chicken. We have had him a long time. And thanks!

Beeze, uh, huh

Linda, thanks we are all hanging on and hanging in there. But we are so close....it is hard. And thanks, he is a pretty guy and has taken to hanging out with the cats in the yard

STeve, the time really is going by fairly quickly....spring's work does tend to concentrate your mind. However, 600 hours seems like a lifetime some days. She is the one person I can rely on to notice...if the vacuum pump is getting low on oil, or something isn't turned on that should be, or a cow is off feed, or a gate open that should be closed. When she is gone it is just me...I miss her.
Mr. rooster doesn't get to go in with the cuties, because the stinker likes to eat eggs. We really should get rid of him, but he is so pretty, so.........