(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Looky Here!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Looky Here!

1/2 Jersey
1/4 Holstein
1/4 Milking shorthorn


Hi, My name is Scotty. You can see my mama, Broadway, below. Broadway is out of Alan's show cow Bayberry, whose mama is his other show cow, Balsam, who is a daughter of Mansion Valley Delaware. I think it is pretty cool that I am a three way crossbred....what do you think?
And, yeah, I am in the kitchen......right where I think I oughta be!



We walked into the barn this morning to find that Broadway had calved. She was a bit early, but we had bedded her up with extra straw and filled the floor behind her with lots of straw last night...just in case. Good thing too.

However, despite the obvious placenta, there was no calf. Liz and I both wear glasses and they were fogged up pretty bad, but still...there was just no baby there. We walked all over the south side of the barn where Broadway stands...no calf.

We checked the mangers.
No calf.
Finally we turned on the lights on the north side of the barn and there she was in all her golden splendor. She was strolling around as if she owned the place, calm as a clam.

We have never had a three way cross before and only made this one because we didn't have any shorthorn semen when it came time to breed Broadway. We pulled little Scotty (because she is just the color of butterscotch) over to mom and put a coat on her, but she was still shivering at the end of milking so she is in the kitchen now....

****For more critters in kitchens visit Moon Meadow Farm

23 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I'll take her! What a doll :)

DayPhoto said...

What a beautiful calf! Kitchen are the place for babies. All types from chickens to cows. For sure in the winter.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I need cows. Okay, maybe not cows, just that baby. And her mom, and....stop showing those GORGEOUS calves in photos or my husband will leave me!!!!!

Rebz said...

How adorable, I agree with Teri- you have to stop posting these adorable pics of calves, it makes me want one RIGHT NOW.
XOOX
Joce

Anonymous said...

question why scotty...
also can we keep it?????

Anonymous said...

also why is the special brand of midget evil messing up the kitchen? EEEEWWWW

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

What a face...
I'll get in line to take her too!

Jan said...

My kitchen seems so incomplete without an adorable calf to keep us company.

Ed said...

What a cutie!!! So I'm assuming she is a milk cow? And did you breed her just to get a female for milking? What happens if the calf is a male? Sorry if sound like a 6 year old, just curious... :-)

Deb said...

I think that 3 way cross is adorable! Of course calves belong in kitchen.
So is Scotty a he or a she? I know what you will do with the she. I'll happily get in line for the "he" :)

Anonymous said...

I'll have a Scotty too! Dairy calves are far cuter than beef calves at that age. (I can hear Liz saying "at any age"!

Anonymous said...

Such a cuttie! :)

R.Powers said...

gorgeous! Looks like a fawn!

Deb said...

3C,
obviously by my first comment, I was wearing my idiot hat yesterday. Boy - do I feel stupid :)
I did read the post and it went right over my head before I got to the comment section, duh !!!

Scotty (SHE) is adorable none the less. Will you keep her?

Alpaca Granny said...

Awwwww

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Darn cold day to be born! She is fine looking and Scotty suits her. The genealogist in me loves that she can probably trace her genes back further than most people can.

threecollie said...

Nita, she is a sweetie, isn't she? Thanks

Linda, she is back in the barn, but getting a chance to get warm and dry was good for her...it just won't warm up around here. Below zero every single night

Teri, too bad he feels that way,....lol....because the boss will probably make me sell her.

Joce, your day will come! lol

Becky, I believe I answered that

WW, she is smart too. thanks

Jan, she kept stepping on everybody's feet!

Ed, if we keep her, it will be as a future milk cow. If we do sell her it will also be to someone who wants a milk cow. The dairy cows are bred each year, both because we want calves and because they have to have a calf to give milk. Broadway is what we call a first calf heifer...this Scotty is her first baby. Male calves are usually sold to be raised for beef or veal, although if this had been a bull we were going to keep it to breed heifers

Deb, she is a she. lol

Linda, awww...those little Herefords are about as cute as it gets too

Monarch, thanks

FC, she is a big un though for a half Jersey

Deb, no prob. I want to keep her. The boss isn't as enthusiastic. He hates milking Jerseys because of the shortness factor....we'll see I guess

Alpaca Granny, Hi! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment!

Apple, you are probably right about that. My mom loves doing genealogy too!

Dani said...

Such a beautiful calf!

The Wife said...

Very cute! Love new babies.

threecollie said...

Dani, thanks!

The Wife, thank you too...

Anonymous said...

fred Nice calf!! Would be intrested if you decide to sell her.
Thanks
Matt

threecollie said...

Matty, I should sell her...but what on earth would you do with her? She is definitely dairy. You should have seen her yesterday. A week old, tied in a stall next to a cow..and she was standing there right beside the cow gobbling down corn silage like it was going out of style....quite a girl! Love you

Anonymous said...

Fred, Milk Her In about two years ???????
Matt