(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Attached to the Land

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Attached to the Land


And to the cows.
The lifestyle.
The family working and living and striving together.

This article
in the Iowa Independent describes the mindset of farm families faced with this terrible crisis affecting their homes, livelihoods, and the very center of themselves, is one of the best I have ever read.

I have often tried to explain the powerful emotional hold that working the land has for a farmer and have never been able to do so. No matter how many people tell you to treat it like a business, it is more. It simply has to be. You don't just farm....you are a farmer.

The author of this story has done a great job of explaining that. Speaking of farmer fears when faced with farm foreclosures,

"Not only are they letting down themselves and their families, but they are letting down the animals and land they’ve come to respect and love."

Go.
Read.

You will be strongly moved I promise.


HT to Jeanelle at Midlife by Farmlight, who adds her own excellent perspective to this issue.


Update: Here is a potential outcome of such disastrous times coupled with such intense involvement in the life of a farmer. Suicides a Tragic Result.
This is a powerful article and well worth reading!

Here's another.


And here

Mr. Bunting and Pete Hardin of the Milkweed have been trying to tell folks for years how badly they are getting hammered. I am so glad to know someone is listening.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Good reading. We've had several suicides among farming families out here. Incredibly sad.

Teri Conroy said...

Thank you for the post, threecollie. I would like to link your blog to mine so that others can read these.

Teri said...

p.s. I LOVE the photo of Liz!!!!

threecollie said...

Jan, I have no trouble understanding what drives them. The first article I linked to that Jeanelle found describes so well how the farm is part of the family.

Teri, that is so sweet of you! I was so surprised to find so many good stories at one time...I just kept adding all day. Thanks!

Teri, it is an oldie that has been on here before, but it seemed to fit the story so well that I hunted around for it and posted it again. The heifer is Foolish, who is now a big cow...going to have a calf any day now. Thanks

DayPhoto said...

Farming is a business. It is also a lifestyle. There are no other business, that I know of, which requires a business approach (the bottom line) and you to eat, sleep, and breathe right in the place of business. Although, I know there are businesses that require it people just can't.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Paintsmh said...

You know I love that cow dearly...But I REALLY wish she would have her blasted calf!!!

threecollie said...

LInda, it is so different from most jobs isn't it? I have spend the whole week, every day, just trying to get ready to leave for a week.

Lizzie, well, she came through for you, although sadly, with a bull. Maybe Blitz will do better. I love you and I will miss you so much! Hang in there and take care of your dad.