(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Watch Out for Facebook

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Watch Out for Facebook

And be afraid to rely on Norton Antivirus. I was enjoying the former networking site yesterday when the latter product failed in its task of protecting this computer in a proper fashion.

It took nine hours of computer time.
And a hundred bucks to Norton......
......To get rid of the resulting virus. I never did get a coherent explanation from the many technicians in India who attempted to resolve the issue. Or from about the sixth or seventh one who finally did.

I didn't get much sleep, but it is fixed and the Farm Side was sent in on time.
Yay me.

The kids have AVG free version antivirus software on the other two computers. Both are on Facebook day and night.
Both are fine.
I am trying to figure out why I am paying 80 bucks a year for a product that doesn't do the job when I can get a free one that does. Hmmmmmmm.....

3 comments:

DayPhoto said...

I went to AVG when I got my new computer. I love it. I also had a NORTON bug and my tech guy said go to AVG.

You won't be sorry.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Jeffro said...

Norton (and McAfee) have been riding on their reputations for years. Both programs are resource hogs.

threecollie said...

LInda, I am going to change when my subscription runs out. We put AVG on the other desktop and I am so impressed with its performance. The technicians who dealt with my problem were barely able to communicate in English which meant that a lot of time was wasted and a lot of nuances were glossed over on both ends.

Jeffro, I was so disgusted with Norton. Not only did a brand new, expensive piece of software completely fail...and I didn't click any funky sites or anything like that....I have been online for years and years with no previous problems, but when their stuff failed they charged me all that money to fix it.
No promises that it won't happen again.
No believable explanation for what happened in the first place. Bah.