(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: 42

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

42

At Peck's last summer
Can you tell I am getting antsy?


Alan and I have been keeping a loose list of the birds we have seen here at the farm this summer. I don't bore you with a list of names but we are up to 42 species at this point. They are mostly common, with the most exotic being the willow flycatcher, a bird that is hard enough to distinguish from the alder that even experts tell them apart by their call. Ours has been thoughtful enough to call all day, all spring and half the summer, allowing us to spend hours on What Bird listening to recorded calls. His call is a perfect match.

To add to our enjoyment of this drab little critter, it has taken to coming right on to the sitting porch several times a day picking at yarn from a trellis. Must be thinking about nesting again, although it isn't calling much. I am trying for a photo but between the wren rushing in to drive it away and its level of personal wildness that may not happen.

The end of the dawn chorus has been like the turning off of a switch. After weeks of having the delight of waking to cardinals, mockers, robins and what all, there is nothing calling now but a couple of starlings. And the wren. Which never shuts up. This lack is probably partly due to the season.

And partly due to the sharp shinned hawk. He was first spotted taking out an English sparrow, to which he was quite welcome. Then the other evening, just after an especially torrential rain, Alan and I were on our way out to milk when we heard a commotion from the mulberry by the compost bin.

Underneath the canopy, on the lowest branches, was the wettest, most bedraggled hawk I have ever seen. Each feather stood up in a ruffled peak like Harry Potter's hair.

It was clutching something and trying unsuccessfully to fly away from us and from the dozens of small birds that use the tree as an all day, all-you-can-eat cafeteria. They were (not unreasonably) quite discommoded by its presence.

Finally it made it to wing, showering water droplets behind as it lumbered away. It was lugging quite a large frog in its talons and we had a nice chuckle at its antics. I suspect it is a young one to which flying is a relative novelty.

Or else just a klutz. Either way I wish it would move along. I love taking a minute now and then to walk out on the porch to see who is flying back and forth across the long lawn, beaks crammed with berries. Or what the mockingbird is fighting with at any given time. It is getting too quiet.

8 comments:

Moms Musings said...

How nice to wake up to the birds. You have quite an assortment there.

lisa said...

I wish we had those birds, but of course I don't watch like you and Al do!!

R.Powers said...

I can just picture that hawk. Did he dive into your livestock fish pond tank?

Anonymous said...

You describe birdwatching much the way I watch people in the mall:) I miss having wrens around this year with all their bossy talk.

Jeannelle said...

That's a great idea to keep a list of the birds that come around. I should do that, too. The WhatBird site sounds interesting.....I must head over there...thanks for the link!

Sandcastle Momma said...

That's a huge assortment of birds! It must sound glorious in your yard. There's something really cool about hawks - we have one around here that I can never take my eyes off of. Fascinating creatures.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, 3C, and I think you're right about the noise-suppressor. It's so quiet it's almost spooky around here when there's a hawk haunting us.

threecollie said...

Cathy M, we have been just amazed by how many there are this summer.

Lisa, we have the fields and hedgerows and that brings in a lot of them

FC, we think he took it off the long lawn, which sometimes grows a few cattails.

Linda, I can imagine. I would miss them so much if something drove them away. The male is singing right now

Jeanelle, I love What Bird. Wish there was a way to take it along outdoors. lol

SC Momma, they are fascinating, I agree. This is the first sharpie to hang around the house. Usually we get a coopers or two and we had a red tailed hawk a few years ago that taught himself to pluck sparrows and starlings out of the barn eaves. He looked pretty funny trying to hover there.

akagaga, I think that is exactly what is going on because today the birds were singing again and I didn't see him anywhere around