(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Things are Hopping Around Here

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Things are Hopping Around Here

(Excuse the grubby fingers, this toad was brought to you by a hard working man)

And there is some discussion about just what the hopping things in question are. I never knew that we had Fowler's Toads around here, but Alan insists that some of the little guys that we are finding everywhere are not plain old American toads. (I am not going to argue with him. He is the college fisheries and wildlife student and I am just his mom.) They DO seem to have the diagnotic extra lumps in their wartiness. Whatever they are, and I suspect some of each of our local common toads, they are everywhere. You have to watch where you step in the driveway, as they blend in amazingly well and are hopping all over the place out there. I know some toad whoopee was being made in the heifer watering trough all spring, because I could hear them singing all night and half the day. I suspect there may have been some happening in the garden pond too, although I never caught them in the act and they are a pretty shameless lot.

The little ones seem to have an extra measure of cute that is irresistible. I found one when I was out feeding my dog Nick that was small enough to sit comfortably on my thumbnail with room to spare. I put it in the quart cottage cheese container I take the dog food out in (after feeding the latter to Nick of course). Then I took the container in to Becky and said, "Look, I have one little kibble left."

She glanced into the container, did a double take and began to carry on in utter delight. She is as tickled as I am by tiny toads. After a careful examination baby toadlet was carried out to the edge of the pond, where he was much safer than the center of the driveway. Later Alan brought a big one in to compare to the Fowler's on the Internet.....hmmm, spots here, spots there, I think I may, I think I might....be right about this toady tonight.

You see, I have raised my daughters and son right. They love herptiles like outdoor folks should. I am delighted by all these toads and by a baby green frog Alan found on the bridge. By the myriad garter snakes we find. Red backed salamanders (which I have known as plethodon cinereus so long that I have to think to come up with their English name). Milk snakes....although we haven't seen many of those this year yet. All the hoppy, slithery, scaled and slippery amphibians and reptiles that hang around us. I guess we are lucky that most of our local critters are non-poisonous and in the case of the toad, downright neighborly. It makes enjoying them so much fun.

11 comments:

Dani said...

I love seeing pictures of your critters! Such cuties!

lisa said...

Awesome, I will have to see If we have any of those, Alan want to come over and check it out with us?? HeHeHe

Paintsmh said...

I am still so jealous that you didn't keep it around long enough for me to see it. Nooo fair :)

Mappy said...

Toads yey!!!!
Love Them!!! Froggies Too!!!!!
Lova Ya
Mappy

R.Powers said...

Neat! It's good to have a toad expert at your beck and call ... LOL!

Ericka said...

baby toadie! so cute! mom and dad raised me the way you are raising yours. i love the "creepy crawlies."

Anonymous said...

I have yet to see a toad in this neck of the woods but we have frogs and snakes in abundance. I like the grubby fingers:)

Teri said...

That was a great read! The road to Llama Land has a big HUGE deep puddle from all the rain. Hannah and I freak every day we drive it because frogs live in it. Never fails as soon as we start driving through we see a head pop up. Then we screach figuring we smushed it!

threecollie said...

Dani, I love amphibians, just love them...and we are so lucky not to have to worry about invasives of that clan up here in the chilly north

Lisa, he would probably love to. He is kind of down in the dumps and could use some cheering up

Liz, I am really sorry. Next time I will keep one in a little longer if we see one

Matt, I do too and love you also...more than frogs in fact.

FC, I am enjoying his knowledge probably as much as he is. It is so cool to finally know what kind of sunfish we are catching and about walleyes and all that

Ericka, they are so funny and such hard working little critters! I love to hear them sing and miss them in the cold months

Linda, he was going to go wash, but I told him not to bother. Good honest dirt earned by good hard labor. He happened to see the little guy while on his way in from the field so...

Teri, we have them in the puddles too and we move them around so as not to hit them. I don't know why I am so fond of them, but they are like treasure to me....I have always felt that way. It has been a pure joy to watch the three frogs in the garden pond go from little skinny wraiths coming out of hibernation, to big robust calendar-cover guys flexing their froggy muscles!

Anonymous said...

you should have put this little guy in as a macro monday photo!
how cute, i thought frogs where ment to always be wet(?)

threecollie said...

msw, I would have but it wasn't really as clear as I would have liked it to be...I am always in such a hurry...