(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Apple A Day

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Apple A Day


Went to our favorite orchard yesterday to pick a bushel of apples to store. (If we get a chance I am going back for more before they close.)

We had the place to ourselves as the season is winding down. It is so beautiful up there. There is no place like home, but Bellinger's Orchard is sure a close second. There was no shortage of apples either. The trees are still weighed right down with varieties ranging from standards like Ida Red to new ones I had never encountered before like Ruby Jon.

We almost filled our half bushel bags with Northern Spies and Ida Red. Then came the fun part...wandering among the trees looking for tasty looking apples to test drive this fall to see if we want a larger quantity next time. Alan nibbled a dropped Empire that he picked up and was sold immediately. He probably picked half a peck of them just for his own entertainment.

We also grabbed a few Pink Ladies, a couple of the aforementioned Ruby Jons, some Ambrosias, Granny Smiths and some Winesaps. (It does look as if our tree in the yard is a Winesap as the apples look just right.)

To me a couple bags of good hard apples in the front hall is like money in the bank. No, better than money in the bank...it is apple snack season. We have been making applesauce whenever we get any apples. There is still time for more spiced apple jelly.......Liz bakes a mean apple pie. Alan has suggested expanding his pumpkin bar franchise to include apple bars....

Yeah, I think I do need to run up and grab another bushel before they close...which might happen this week.


9 comments:

lisa said...

Matt has been thinking of getting apples and putting them up in our spare time:) yah right!

Anonymous said...

they've really expanded over the yrs....and they have wonderful cider donuts too...so i've been told...sounds like you got some nice varieties in your basket :)

R.Powers said...

Sounds great! Here we only have a few varieties in the store. But I vote with Alan on Empires.

DayPhoto said...

Our apple season ended early this year with the early freeze and snow. Sigh!

My favorite is Honeycrisp, followed by Yellow Delicious. I still like the old favorite.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

.....which reminds me, I need to get my supply in before it's too late. I can smell them now:)

Teri said...

Pie...I know I'm going to be reading about pie soon. Beautiful photos of apple pie...I'm drooling!

Anonymous said...

yummmm.....apple pie!

Deanna said...

I love the Pink Lady!

threecollie said...

Lisa, I sent the kids to pick another bushel today. If we make jelly we are going to need them

Anon, I love going up there. They are about the nicest folks you could meet and the orchard is like paradise to an apple lover like me.

FC, I like so many kinds I couldn't pick a favorite.

LInda, we like Honeycrisp too, but sadly they were all gone. The kids went back for more today.

Linda, oh, that is one of the best parts! I love coming downstairs in the dark in the morning and smelling them out in the front hallway

Teri, yes. pie. lol

anon, yep, and jelly and crisp and just plain apples...

Cubby, they are pretty nice