(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Bad News in the Dairy Industry

Monday, October 15, 2018

Bad News in the Dairy Industry

These two old ladies....

Been researching for this week's Farm Side and the numbers are even uglier than I imagined.

Dairy farm losses:

Ohio

Wisconsin

Michigan

It's estimated that nearly a third of America's dairy farms have left the industry in the past decade.

According to this article 93% have left the business since I graduated from high school in 1970. 

Some suggest a supply management system may help. Others aren't too trusting of those who might be in charge of the managing.

All I know is that these are hard times for the majority of dairy farmers, with distressing impacts on rural communities everywhere. 

......are all that's left of our herd, which once numbered over 100
including heifers and calves.

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

A lady who follows my blog and has a dairy back east somewhere (like you folks) http://happilymarriedtothecows.blogspot.com/ says they are selling out this year. Just makes me sick!

Sigh

threecollie said...

LInda, so sorry to read that. It is happening all across the country at a staggering rate. I don't think anyone outside the farming community understands the loss that is going on. The loss to the fabric of rural America is not going to be something easily replaced. I bookmarked your friend's blog as I know I am going to enjoy reading it. Will probably give her a link in my sidebar after I finish proofreading the Farm Side and send it off. Thanks!