(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Once Upon a Time

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Once Upon a Time


We were town kids with no idea of country when we went to stay at that farm house up in Fort Plain one day. I have no memory of circumstances, but it was an interesting new experience for us. We played outdoors all day it seems, wild games of kids with sharp imaginations.

Called in for lunch we stood astounded. There on the table was a great white orb that seemed as large as some of the old trucks we had been playing on.

When informed that we could have a slice with our dinner we were skeptical.

But hungry. Wild kids are always hungry.

Soon the savory scent of butter frying in a hot iron skillet filled the house, smelling golden, brown, and salty and good. That was just how the puffball tasted too, after a bit of sauteing in same. We liked it. Aunt Peggy sure could cook.

I've eaten a good many puffballs down the years, generally cooked by myself or my late mother-in-law, who was also known as Peggy. They sometimes grew by the heifer silo or up on the hill in a hidden bit of field.

But that first one was a good long time ago. I was at least eight, as Mappy was born, but not much more than that.....

Aunt Peg raised a batch of delightful cousins for me, and was beloved by them and their kids and their kids' kids and everyone on the Montgomery side of the family too...all the generations.

She was a wonderful woman, so very sweet to all she met, upstanding and hardworking in the church, just plain good in the most basic sense of the word.

We lost her last night. Hearts are sick and sore all over the area spanned by her family and friends. Condolences to her children, grand, and great grandchildren, to my mother, her only sister, to Larry, my uncle, and all of the family who love them and loved her. I know everyone she met has memories of her love as I do and will cherish them forever.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm so sorry. This time of year of losses makes the death of a cherished aunt even more painful. I hope your memories of her love and caring bring warmth and needed light into your mind and heart.

Terry and Linda said...

O! I am so sorry. To lose our cherished people is so very hard!

Hugs to you and your Mom

Jonna said...

So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful memorial.

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

That was beautiful Marianne. I am sure she loved you as you loved her.

threecollie said...

Thank you all.....and I love you mama

Dani said...

I'm so sorry my friend. :(

Earl said...

Some fine people move on to their reward, seems like more each year. But they are the people you never had to hear say they loved, you or your cousins or friends... you knew what love was because you could see it, feel it, and it draws you back to be warmed again. I can read a book, see a painting or sculpture or magic music or dance... but lively lovely people are the real masterpieces, being created around us all the time. Thank God for the memories to cling to.

Sandcastle Momma said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope those wonderful memories you have will help fill the void.

threecollie said...

Thank you for your kind words, everyone