(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary

Friday, December 23, 2005

We had a very vocal, vituperative, vociferous and darned near violent discussion in the milk house tonight while we were finishing up. I was heating a bottle of milk for the new half-shorthorn calf. I was also whining because it seems to take forever to get it warm when you are in a hurry to get to the house.
One of my delightful offspring informed me that it had something to do with the high specific heat of water. Another chimed in that that figure is 4. something or other joules per gram °C. The original kid asserted that it was one. And so the battle began.

How can I describe how little I care? It makes my brain hurt to worry about such stuff. They didn't even teach us about specific heat in school. Maybe it hadn't been invented yet. At any rate, all the hot air in the milkhouse didn't do a darned thing to get that calf bottle any warmer. However, we had to drag out a college text book and do a google search to settle the point...and guess what.
"The specific heat of water is 1 calorie/gram °C = 4.186 joule/gram °C which is higher than any other common substance." (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/spht.html) So, they were both right in their way, just using different units of measure. I still don't care.

No comments: