(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

$416.31 -that is what an overnight stay, an x-ray, a vaccination and some fancy tailoring set me back for Nick, who is back home by the way. That is more than I paid to purchase either his mother or his big brother, both of whom were born of imported parents, with Gael's father being an open sheep dog trial contender on the national level. (I bred Nick myself). Major sticker shock! I spent eight of my more youthful years working as a tech and receptionist/dog washer/kennel cleaner/whatever else was needed for a vet and I have some idea of the markup in pet vet services. Still I expected to get nailed for maybe two hundred for last night's services for my idiot dog. I should have known when I saw the marble counters on the new hospital that I was in trouble.

When I got home and began to check out the details I became plumb unhappy. They hosed me fifty-three bucks for a distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis and parvo virus vaccine. The farm vet will give them for eight or ten bucks. In fact I often buy my own from Drs. Foster and Smith (about three-twenty a dose for one kind, less than two bucks for another) and give it to the dogs myself. In fact, Nick's dose for this year was and is, sitting in the fridge right now. I knew he was due and figured, what with any exposure he might get at the animal hospital, I would let the vet do it. My mistake, I guess.

They were kind to Nick; I think they did a good job and they were open when none of the other clinics around were. Still, it pains me to pay more for one dog call, even with minor surgery involved, than I usually spend on a whole months vet care for over a hundred cattle. All I can say is ouch.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

My medicine costs $80 from the vet and $19 from Fosters and Smith. Guess where I buy it?