(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary

Monday, January 09, 2006

I have heard of revenge, but this story beats all. It just goes to show that if you must light mice afire, you had better do it a LONG way from your house.

I never did like mice much, and this one proved that they can be dangerous for other reasons than just carting hanta virus and Lymes disease around. However, John Deere's magazine The Furrow published an article in the January issue saying that they do a lot of good out in the crop fields by eating weed seeds. Seems scientists placed sticky cards covered with seeds of noxious weeds, like giant fox tail and velvet leaf, out in fields. Mice removed one third of the seeds in 48 hours. Crickets do much the same, according to the article. (Those are a bit more popular with me, as I like to hear their cheerful chirping late in the summer.) Iowa State University researchers call the small creatures, "Little Hammers" in the fight against pests in the fields. I guess we need all the little hammers we can get as long as they stay out of the house, whether aflame or not.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

Hmm, nope, there are a few other issues with rodent, including the time the kid I used to work with on a farm a few miles from here, hid a dead mouse in the back pocket of my clean blue jeans, which I had left in the farm office so I could change after work. I found it when I stuck my hand in my pocket, while in the check out line at the local Price Chopper. Natually I screamed and thew it into the air for all around me to see (and laugh like hell). A cricket just wouldn't have quite that impact when tossed in the air among an audience of elderly ladies and check out boys. I won't tell you what the gent who is now my husband, but wasn't yet did to that boy, but I am sure he remembers to this day not to put mice in women's pockets.