(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wednesday noon, deadline for the Farm Side. Getting that puppy written leaves little time or energy for blogging, even though that is so much more fun. However, the paper actually pays me so they get priority today.

This week the column hit on the Hoard's Dairyman judging contest, the new BSE case in Canada, the failing (to put it mildly) audit of USDA on packing companies, dairy monopolies, and the outrage of National Dairy Promotion and Research Board handing over six million bucks worth of checkoff dollars to the EPA to buy a new stick (air emissions monitoring) to beat dairy producers with. Nice of them to spend our money on us that way. I have to thank Sarpy Sam for giving me ideas about where to dig up some of the dirt on these topics. Not all the ag news that's fit to get upset about is printed here on the "right" coast.

And last but far from least, condolences to the family, friends and readers of John Jablonski, fellow Recorder columnist for lo these many years. His passing sure was a shock!

If you want to spend a buck on Friday you can read all about it on the opinion page at the paper's website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Jablonski's passing was really a surprise. His column and yours and John Brisbin's are the highlights of the paper. I will really miss Mr. Jablonski's common sense and reminders of what is really important in your life. Love your column and your pictures, and the article on the Vet's bill hit home. I have many older friends who refuse to replace loved pets because of the high cost of just getting basic shots at the vet. I never went to the vet without a credit card when I took my two dogs just for booster shots. I refer you to Dr. Michael Fox column in the Schenectady Gazette who constantly writes that annual booster shots are a ripoff, unnecessary, and dangerous for the health of your dogs and cats. Ha, try telling that to your local vet. I had a friend, a night cleaning lady who took her year old dog to a county clinic for rabies shots. Cost her around $10.00 vs $$$ at the vet's. When she told her vet's office next she took her dog there that he didn't need the rabies shot they about told her to take her dogs records and go some where else if they weren't going to be doing all the shots for her dog. She was very upset and I can't blame her. She had to beg them to keep her as a customer because she really liked the doctor. I could go on and on, but I really just meant to say that I'll miss Mr. Jablonski's articles.

threecollie said...

We were totally shocked to see that John had passed away.
I don't worry as much about the older dogs who have had vaccinations for years, but i keep the younger dogs right up on their shots.
Thanks for stopping by.