(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Another Day in Paradise

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Another Day in Paradise

What do you say to a veterinarian who literally drops everything and darned near flies to your place to save a dying cow? Well, "thanks", comes to mind…along with, "good job", not to mention, "sorry the gate was still closed".

And that is just what we found ourselves saying this very morning along about at the end of milking. The day was already well on-the-way to over the top chaos. First the cows didn’t come down from pasture, (or at least none of the older high producers did). The boss had to go get them and be rather persuasive before they could be convinced that they really needed to come down the hill.

Then Hattie, Liz’s 2-year old Jersey show heifer sat down and had a bull calf right in the middle of milking. Not too bad yet, although it is tanker day and we did need to get done promptly.

While we were scurrying around shifting machines and washing cows, the boss decided to give some pregnant cows their routine injections of selenium. That mineral is quite deficient in the soil around here. We normally give all the cows a few cc's two to three weeks before calving, as it helps prevent retained placentas and other birth-related problems. Still no big deal.
Then about a half an hour later old Balsam, a successful retired show cow of Alan's, went right off the deep end. She began kicking her head, drooling great strings of saliva and began to swell up all over. She seemed to be having convulsions while standing up. We knew immediately that she was going into anaphylactic shock and needed epinephrine.

We didn’t have any. All we had was an Epipen that we keep on hand for Liz’s bee sting allergy. I called our favorite vet and asked if it would help. The dose was a fraction of what is needed for a cow the size of Balsam, but she said to give it anyhow and headed down our way.
I no more than got back to the barn with the medicine when the blacksmith arrived and needed help catching DG, (who despises men).

By the time I had him haltered Kris was already opening the gate herself, for which I humbly apologize.

A few injections later and poor Balsam was beginning to relax and stop swelling and I was beginning to catch my breath from all the running from the cow barn to the phone to the horse pasture and back.

Thanks to the quality of animal care that we take for granted from our veterinarian, Balsam will probably be all right. However, if she makes it through this episode and has her calf all right, she will certainly not get a shot of selenium next year. And I sure do hope things slow down for the rest of the day. I am too old for this.

9 comments:

Carina said...

Wow, was that a reaction from the selenium injection?
I keep Benadryl on hand because one of my dogs has atopic/idiopathic (fancy medical term meaning "we haven't a clue what causes this") allergies to we-don't-know-what and a couple of times each summer will manifest with an alarming swelling somewhere on her body.
Works like a charm.
I imagine it would take more than a few Benadryls to de-swell a cow, though!

threecollie said...

Hi Carina,
Yeah, I am thinking you would have to clean out the drugstore. This is a really BIG cow too, one of our largest and quite fat as she is pregnant and not milking right now. She was back to normal at turnout time tonight though.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Well that's it, I'm not complaining about my busy day anymore! Good quick reactions from everyone. Your cows are in good hands!

threecollie said...

Thanks, Wanderer, by noon we were just praying for it all to stop so we could regroup, but of course, in early afternoon the cows knocked the pasture gate down and came running down into the barn yard. Thankfully a dog barked so I saw them and ran and closed all the gates before they actually got out.

Anonymous said...

You have a dedicated vet... not everybody does.

So your cow has a problem with the selenium. huh?

Well, you've sparked my herbal curiosity... I'll see if I can try to find plant supplements you can feed her to avoid the need for the injection which can be harsh for many animals... it's considered a toxin until the plants convert it to a necessary mineral... so she man need to get it from herbs that or she's developed an allergy to all forms of selenium.

I know for shock... I use a rosemary tea/brew for most people & animals, but that's only to hold off what danger I can until the vet/doctor gets there.

I have been lucky & prevented anaphylactic shock three times with a quick brew of rosemary tea, but I've never been brave enough NOT to call the doctor or vet even they were just sent home once they realized the emergency was over.

I'll do some more research & write a post on the subjec, then I'll let you know when I do... ok?

My current post is on Horses & snake bites...

Let me know what you think...

Aidana
MY HORSE BLOG:
http://www.blogcharm.com/ShuvaniStablesAllNaturalHorseAndLivestockRemedyAndProductBlog/
MY EXOTIC ANIMAL BLOG:
http://www.blogcharm.com/shuvanimals/

R.Powers said...

Wow, I'm glad you didn't lose that cow. We have a great vet also.

threecollie said...

Hi FC, Been trying to leave you a comment on your wonderful banana plants but Blogger isn't in the mood today. It seems so cool to actually grow them right in your backyard. Loved the wren story as well.

Deanna said...

Whew! I'm glad the cow was okay. That happened to my mom once, but at least she was in the hospital already. Scary...

threecollie said...

Wow, it is terrible when it is a person. Liz has had some bad problems with bee stings too. The cow is doing well and her calf still seems to be moving and alive and well for which we are very grateful. She is due the 28th