(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: I wonder

Saturday, May 27, 2006

I wonder

This is truly a family farm. Before his parents passed away, the boss farmed with them his whole life. Then when we married (over twenty years ago) I joined the crew and the kids came on board as soon as they got big enough to see over a shovel.

Although it was a challenge to work together day in and day out and keep any semblance of serenity, I grew very close to his family, especially to his mom. I miss her every day, particularly buying her plants and flowers, and looking for special bits of china that I knew she would love when I visited garage sales. She was always so delighted with any gift, no matter how insignificant, that it was a real pleasure to come across something she would like. She worked hard at being a “good” mother-in-law. I am sure that I didn’t make that easy for her sometimes.

Today we went to the cemetery to “visit” the folks. I don't have the plants we put on their graves every year quite ready yet, but we were out and just felt like stopping. As we walked up to the graves from behind the stone I noticed that the earth had sunken a little and it looked kind of bare. The cemetery is located in very sandy soil that supports little in the way of grass. (Although the farm fields that come right up to the boundaries and even inside on the unused parts, have a thriving crop of rye, corn and oats this summer. It seems fitting for all the old farmers buried there to be surrounded by the chugging of tractor engines and the sighing of grass in the summer winds.)
I remarked to the boss that I should buy some Johnny Jump Up seed and plant the bare area, so there would always be flowers that wouldn't mind the mower and would come up every year in that special spot. Peg loved plants and it was a way I could have the joy of giving her some again. I knew it was a plan that I would carry out as soon as I could.

We stood and reflected for a minute, then turned toward the car, where the kids were waiting for us.

Suddenly cold chills raised a crop of goose bumps on my arms and stood the hairs up on the back of my neck.

There, right where I had been thinking of doing my seeding was one, single, perfect, dark purple Johnny Jump Up plant, its little cat face turned up to the sun.

There were no others anywhere around that whole section of the cemetery, just that one, on Peg’s side of the little square plot.

I am still shivering.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that is freeky. i miss peg to she was a very sweet lady.
love ya
your little
bro

Anonymous said...

;-) So you're going to get seeds now, right? that's so very awesome, and it's great that she was listening to you and let you know that she appreciated that simple gift too. Have fun!

Carina said...

Wow. That even gave me a little chill...surely a communication of some sort there. I hope you're still going to plant more, so the little cat faced one doesn't get lonely.

threecollie said...

Hi, little bro, good to see you here.
Jax, welcome to Northview and thanks for stopping by. I believe we will go get some salt blocks for the cows today and I will certainly buy a couple of packs of seeds while we are there. Maybe some snow on the mountain too, as that is short and forgiving of tough conditions.
Carina, I am definitely going to plant more and I got her plant ready yesterday as soon as we got home too. I really couldn't put it out any sooner as we had frost warnings all last week. I had also been waiting for the men to carry it out where I could work on it, because it is very heavy. However, I lugged it outside myself and filled in with fresh plants. I like to grow geraniums from seed and I put some of those in every year. You never know what color to expect, but the unplanned combinations alway seem to turn out lovely.

Regular Guy said...

Almost one of those deja vu moments. Hope the kitten is ok.

R.Powers said...

Sweet post with a little shiver thrown in. Go get those seeds.

threecollie said...

Hi Regular Guy, She is doing just fine, must have been more frightened than injured although she sure did yell when Bay stepped on her paw.
FC, lucky me, my mom called and is letting me have some Johnny Jump Up plants from her garden!

Anonymous said...

Very well written. I got goosebumps reading.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are having a good weekend...

Aidana
HORSES:
http://www.blogcharm.com/ShuvaniStablesAllNaturalHorseAndLivestockRemedyAndProductBlog/
PETS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/KenderKennelPetCare/
EXOTICS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/shuvanimals/

threecollie said...

Jan, thanks so much.
Hi Aidana, hope you have a good one too.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that gave me shivers too!

I love Johnny Jump Ups, I think that is a great idea!

Hope you are having a wonderful Memorial Day!

mreddie said...

Good story and well written. Those little coincidences in life (like the flower) really do make a person wonder. ec

The MacBean Gene said...

I am convinced that the spirits of our departed loved ones constantly surround us maybe as guardian angels or whatever. Occasionaly they let us know they are there.

threecollie said...

Marti, thanks, I hope you have a good one too
Mreddie,it sure did make me wonder in a very nice way.I don't usually come away from the cemetery feeling so hopeful.
Macbean Gene, I feel that all the time, especially here where we are surrounded every day by the evidence that the boss's folks lived here, from things that they built or planted or even the way the house is arranged because they lived here first. BTW, thanks so much for the links. I really appreciate you linking to me.