(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-1163816206856645", enable_page_level_ads: true }); Northview Diary: Committee

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Committee

Big discussion going on in the kitchen. Bayberry is in season. What bull, what bull? Everyone has an idea and a reason why it is the right one. Rain, Kingpin, Citation R Maple, young sire, proven bull, golden oldie, they can hear the shouting in Fonda. I am staying out of it. I have cows of my own that I need to plan matings for.

I lost one of my favorites this week, sweet little Erin from my Trixy family (pushed in a ditch by other cows, and suffocated from the weight of her stomachs when she couldn't get back up. She was fine at night milking and gone when we went out in the morning. I was sick. Really sick. I cried over a cow for Pete's sake.)

On the other hand, England, from the same family, gave me a pretty heifer calf, which I named "Encore" because she looks a lot like old Dixie. Hope I can raise her. It is heartbreaking to lose a favorite cow and exciting to get a promsing calf. The latter keeps us going, the former makes me at least want to quit. It is one thing when an animal gets sick, but to lose a healthy vibrant young one for such a stupid reason. Bah. Cows are not the sweet little placid things that a lot of people think they are. They fight like crazy, all the time, because they have a pecking order just like chickens. However, they are a hell of a lot bigger and more dangerous than chickens when they get to squabbling over who's the boss. It gets me everytime I walk by the empty stall with the grain uneaten. Farming can be a bitch.

8 comments:

The MacBean Gene said...

I've talked to several farmers who have been injured by a cow. Evidently they (cows) arn't as contented as TV would have us believe. Sorry about your loss especially for such a no good reason. It's a part of farming that us non-farmers don't realize.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your loss of your sweet little Erin. This is the second or third time I read in you blog of bulling in the herd, but this time it took a life. What a waste and I suppose a costly one for your family. On the other hand my husband and I loved your column about country music. We're not into it but can got a kick about real farmer boys in the video. Farmers have to be so strong to do the work they do. Its not for everyone. I get hurt just working in my garden lugging water to plants my hose won't reach.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about crying over a cow. We all have our favorites and get a little tear in our eyes when something happens to them is normal. The tears just mean your human and care.

threecollie said...

macbeangene, yeah, we just heard about a neighbor getting rolled by a bunch of heifers. No word on how badly he was hurt, but he had a lot of trouble getting away from them. Thanks.

Karen, thanks..we try to keep the fighting situations to a minimum, but they happen. The kids and I had a ton of fun with the country music column. We spent days picking out songs and discussing their merits. With two twenty-something or teenaged girls, the farm boy topic comes up rather often. Lets just say metrosexual is not their thing. lol

Sarpy Sam, thanks, I find myself feeling foolish about stuff like that. But I had big plans for that heifer. She was broke to lead and real well bred and friendly. Oh, well.

R.Powers said...

Sorry for the loss.

threecollie said...

Thanks FC, it happens and most of the time we just deal with it.

Deanna said...

Sorry about your loss. How sad.

threecollie said...

Thanks Cubby, I have kind of gotten used to the idea and I am enjoying my new baby, Encore so much. She is a real cutie and smart enough to drink from a bucket the first time I offered it to her...not exactly the norm. lol